Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Disco 2 might have a sliped sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Disco 2 might have a sliped sleeve?

Hello every one,
I am new to this forum and I would like to thank DiscoMike, Sticky, and every one ells that have helped so many people save so much money when it comes to the invaluable information regarding diagnostics and repairs to our beloved vehicles.

I have a 2000 disco 2 with 140k that I bought from a semi friend for an unbelievably low price. I had no idea what kind of work and dedication one of these vehicles required when I bought it, but I am in love with it and am turning into a home mechanic.

I bought this truck "knowing" that it needed a HG job. I did not realize that these engines are notorious for slipped sleeves. I have removed the heads and took them to the machine shop. The heads passed the pressure test with flying colors and the rest of the work is being done on the heads. The shop said that they did not find any sign of a blown head gasket when inspecting the heads. I know that the left side head was leaking water out of the back of the head on to the 02 censer though. The truck never over heated and the coolant level never dropped. I have rented a block pressure tester and I am going to test the block on Saturday. If I am missing something or just being paranoid please let me know.

Once again a big shout out to DiscoMike, Sticky, and the rest of the pros!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"I know that the left side head was leaking water out of the back of the head on to the 02 censer though."
So if your machine shop saw signs of it or not it you did have a leaking head gasket. Your machine shop has said nothing about damage too the head from a lose liner, correct. As long as you have the test give it a shot, i dont not how well it will work on a cold block? once the heads are machined toss them back on for another 100k.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Don't loose sleep over a possible sleeve, if you have one there would be red flags waving all over your engine.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the replies. I just got the heads back from the shop and the machinist said that the head in question was warped not to bad though. He only had to mill it 20 thousandths. He also looked at the head gaskets and said they looked like they had great seals all along. I receive the block tester in a couple of days and I am going to test then. I think that it might be ok.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I think you'll be fine. let us know what you find. Usually, with slipped sleeves the piston head will cast a cylindric impression on the bottom of the head. If you or your machinist didn't see it, you should be good to go.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Overlanding

Thanks DiscoMike for taking the time to call and give some great info. I have gathered all of the material that you mentioned and am just about ready to put this baby back togeather. I have one more question for you and every one ells that might have some great information for me. When I got the heads back from the machine shop the machinest told me that one head had to be milled 20 thousandths and the other 10 thousandths. Is this going to be a problem? I know that it is only 10 thousandths of an inch but do I need to fix it or am I good to go? I know that it is not an overhead cam but it still seems a bit out of wack even when it comes to compression. One other thing too. Since this is a tappit engine, do I still need to get the engine and valves at TDC before I slap these babies back on? Thanks for taking the time to read all of this drama, and I appreciate every ones time.
Thanks

Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Overlanding

Well,
No slipped sleeve. Just tested the block and it is good to go. Took the heads in to another machine shop and are having them re done. I am going to start putting it back to geather this weekend.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Overlanding

I finally got this truck back together. Started up but....., misfire, misfire, misfire, misfire. P1300 and 4 CYL misfires. I have spark to all of the plugs and the wires are in the correct positions. ( new plugs and wires). I cannot find a vacuum leak. The power breaks or steering do not work either. It all worked just fine before the head job. all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
Tom

Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Mudding

If I were to guess, I would look at the IAC connector and the driver side coil connector and see if they were swapped or the IAC connector is plugged into the coil. I believe the IAC connector is grey and the coil connector is black and I know they share the same connector outline.

2003 Discovery SE 122K High miles service complete and SWO500040 ABS repair up next.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A. P1300 is "damage to Cats misfire" so let's fix this thing before much more testing.

B. If power brakes don't work you certainly may have a vac leak.

C. PS could be belt route, low fluid, line open, etc.

D. Since it starts, Crank Shaft Position sensor is present; however, it has spacers that may have been put back wrong, makes timing off. See attachments. Could also be cam shaft position sensor.

E. Re-check plug wires AND wiring to coil packs (from ECU).

Attachments from the RAVE, a complete copy is waiting for you and all other interested Rover wrenchers to download for free... Handy to have, even if you just take pages to your indy shop to "guide" them.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 crank sensor 3 pages.pdf (589.2 KB, 99 views)
cam sensor.pdf (847.6 KB, 84 views)
d2 belt route.pdf (177.1 KB, 101 views)
d2 ignition coils.pdf (770.4 KB, 92 views)

Quick Reply: 2000 Disco 2 might have a sliped sleeve?