Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 disco 2 going back in time, 3.9 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 03:54 PM
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2003 disco 2 going back in time, 3.9 swap?

I have a 2003 Disco 2 se7 and media package i bought a few months ago. I bought it with out an engine but all the intakes brackets ext came with it. I'm having a lot of heartburn sourcing a good 4.6 that wont brake the bank. iv found 2 3.9s with just over 100K. as for as doing a 4.6/3.9 swap what issues would arise? I plan on keeping the 3.9 distributor based.. It should bolt rite up to the trans but but dose the 2003 disco need any engine data for shift points? I prob need to modify the AC hoses to bolt unto a different compressor but i can do that. What about power steering and fuel pump. Got the truck cheep and i want to have some fun with it, Farm use only of coarse!!
thanks Gordon

Old 04-28-2016, 05:50 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

So let me see if I have this right, you want to drop a 3.9L into an '03 DII. That 3.9L will be set up to work with a 14CUX engine management system. The '03 has the Bosch system. You want to convert the 3.9L to work with the Bosch system? Is that the intention? if so, a few problems come up right away. The 3.9L block has no accommodations for a crank sensor or NOx sensors. The front engine cover won't have the cutout for the cam sensor either. If you're going back to a pre '95 RRC 3.9L or pre '94 DI 3.9L the front covers won't even be remotely like the one on the Bosch motor. All of the ancillaries will be different as will their mounts.

I always tell people it's a lot easier to go backwards rather than forwards with these engines. You can take a 4.0L or 4.6L and convert it from Bosch to GEMS or even 14CUX with a bit more fiddling. But when it comes to moving forward with an early block, you just run into complication after complication. That's my 2 cents.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 PM
7th Gear

I have available to me a complete 3.9 engine with all the accessories removed from a 92 rang rover. The plan is to use the 3.9 fuel control system and keeping the distributor on the 3.9 for fire and timing. The engine is from a local Land Rover shop who I'm friends with.
Dose the disc transmission need any data off the engine to provide shift points?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

The transmission utilizes a significant amount of data from engine output. I don't think you could even get low range, Hill Decent or traction control to work with that older engine. You are going to have to hold out for another 4.6 so that you can plug and play, pass state emissions/inspection regulations. If you just HAVE to have that 3.9 then you better get the transmission and ECU that goes with it if you want to have any kind of success. 4.6s are not that expensive; you must be searching in all of the wrong places. There are a half dozen different guys on this board that can have the motor you really need shipped to your door. You can also search "land rover" on the large cities throughout Craigslist. TOnS of auto recyclers who will also ship a 4.6 to you for a reasonable price. I see them all the time. Moreover, if you are wanting to just drop a used engine in without any kind of testing, you would be much better off getting a GM V8 as they are bullet-proof compared to any gasoline rover V8 which is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen. For all the work needed to swap a GEMS motor to a Bosch system, the same amount of time and energy could be spent on a better engine that is cheaper, stronger, more HP and very few if any quirks. I think you are insane!

Old 04-28-2016, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts
Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Hershberger
I have available to me a complete 3.9 engine with all the accessories removed from a 92 rang rover. The plan is to use the 3.9 fuel control system and keeping the distributor on the 3.9 for fire and timing. The engine is from a local Land Rover shop who I'm friends with.
Dose the disc transmission need any data off the engine to provide shift points?
The transmission and ABS systems are too integrated with the Bosch engine management system to be able to simply remove it and drop the much older 14CUX engine management system in its place. I've never heard of anyone successfully doing what you trying to do. I suggest you simply find an early Bosch 4.0L and put that in your truck. Hookup will be easy and even if you have to deal with using your heads because you have SAI in the 4.6L that's nothing compared to what you're trying to do when you consider dropping an older 3.9L into the mix.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the advice. I was going off info given from the local shop, who thought it was doable but I guess it will now go back to a parts truck thanks for the help!

Old 05-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

The transmission needs throttle position, speed, and RPMs. Throttle position should be easy. Speed comes from the wheel sensors. RPMs comes from the cranks sensor.

Real interesting project. I've seen a video of a Chevy swap into a disco II where the owner just put a homemade bracket over the crank pulley (with a timing gear grafted on) and the crank sensor got its info right there.

Distributor driven Disco! Love it!

You wouldn't need a cam sensor except to keep the computer happy, which you aren't much concerned about because you won't be using the computer's output to the coils.

I've looked at a small block Chevy swap (with distributor) and it is very doable, so the 3.9 would he even easier because it bolts right up.

Make history!or get a 4.0/4.6. But unless you get a complete SAI system your truck's computers will never be happy.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-01-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:10 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.... The situation, I have a 2003 Disco2 with SAI that blew the head gasket between 1 and 3. Looking at the block after pulling the heads it appears that the block is cracked between the liner and the head bolt holes. I don't see the point in resleeving as this is the original motor and falls in the dreaded VIN range for the Oil Pump problems anyway. Now these are the options, easiest I know is to go with a lead on a 2001 Bosch 4.6 RR motor which I understand should be a red branded block with the thickest cylinder wall thickness.. Cost probably 250.00 I know as far as the easiest, this is probably the best way to go, pull the heads, go with studs, MLS, head gaskets, reseal it up and drop it in for probably a grand all in. As a back up in case that block is bad, I do have a 99 4.0 Block that is in good condition and I could use it and its pistons in conjuction with the internals for the proposed pick and pull 2001 Bosch 4.6 motor. Now, the 2003 is presently running the 4HP22 transmission out of the 99. The 4HP24 was destroyed.

Now, this is the kicker. I picked up a 4.2 that has a high performance HEI type distributor on it, heads have been ported and polished, hotter cam, and is running the 14CUX fuel injection. It is mated to a remanufactured 4HP22. I have a lead on a 95 Discovery 1 that I can pull off an ECM and get a complete seperate engine only wiring harness. Im old school and I still believe in Carbs and I don't do extreme 4 wheeling so I've been thinking about just scrapping the injection and going with a 500CC carb and intake for setup for offroad. I think for cool factor, I really like the idea of the carb with the distributor in the discovery 2.

The question basically is can the Bosch be reprogrammed so that everything engine wise is disabled?? IE so either I can use 14CUX or Carb??

The transmission from what I understand should not be to much of a problem as its hydraulic and not electronic controled.

I basically picked up the 4.2/4HP22 as it came out of a Defender and I figure worst case I have a spare transmission that came with a pretty nice 4.2. Id like to use the 4.2 if its not too hard to get the computers to just forget about 4.6.

I know the 4.2 is a lot more work... So Im thinking of just getting the 4.6 putting that in so can get my daughter running again and then maybe study out if this 4.2 might be an feasible option. I really am leaning more towards CARB set up. I think it would be old school cool and a 68 Bronco did fine back in the day on a CARB.

Anyway, just figured I'd see if anyone else looked at going back time because these 4.0 and 4.6 blocks just seem to be trash. LS1 is more expensive than what I want to spend and to be honest, Id like to try and keep the car closer to its roots with a Rover V8 even in the USA.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing some feedback..

Old 04-18-2020, 02:21 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to mention that emissions if I go with 4.2 14CUX or Carb set up is not a problem car will be registered in Florida. No Emissions.