Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 HSE Disco will not stay running

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2003 HSE Disco will not stay running

2003 Discovery 2
4.6 V8 with 149,xxx miles

I purchased it not running for $1K, so not looking for sympathy just a little guidance . The truck currently has the 3 amigos + CEL warning lights. A review of the codes using a Innova 3130 scanner I receive P0300, P0302, P0305 and P0307. If I clear the codes, the CEL remains on. To clear the CEL I remove the battery and short the + pos and - neg battery leads together. Once this clears the CEL, I can start he truck. It runs seemingly fine.... for ~10 min then shuts off with the random misfire and various P030x codes. What I have done so far is this:
  • Replaced the CPS
  • Replaced all 4 O2 sensors (Bosh)
  • Replaced all 8 spark plugs (Bosh)

I have in my possession:
  • New Coil packs
  • New plug wires
  • gaskets required to remove / replaced the intake manifold to gain access to the coil packs.

My question is, what scanner / code reader should I purchase as I am guessing the Innova is not reading some LR specific codes as the CEL remains on after a reset. I see recommendations for iCarsoft, Hawkeye and NT510. Is there a clear winner i.e. the best return for the investment?

Any other or better recommendations to perform either before I replace the coils and wires or during replacement in order to get this truck running?

Thanks,

Troy

Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

If you want a basic scantool the LR iCarsoft is good. If you want a more advanced unit then the Nanocom, & Hawkeye are good choices.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Drifting

Mr. Best4x4,
Thank you for the recommendations. I expect the programming key-fob function will be something I need as I only have 1 key currently so the more advanced set will be what I am leaning towards. I will look into the Nanocom and compare it to the Hawkeye. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:39 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Since you have the parts for replacement, try to replace them first and see if it improves the condition. Seems like you have the right parts to make it right.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

While you are doing the coil packs you will have access to the Fuel Injectors. You can pick up rebuilt on EBay for $60 or so.

If they look in poor condition, it won’t hurt.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 PM
Drifting

Here is what the Innova "predictive fix" suggests, I will work up this list beyond what I already have from least expensive to most, given it could be any of them.:
  1. Inspect for Faulty Vacuum Hose(s) at Air Injection System (AIR) and Repair as Necessary
  2. Replace Ignition Coil(s) and Spark Plug(s)
  3. Replace Fuel Injector(s)
  4. Replace Fuel Filler Tube
  5. Replace Oxygen Sensor(s) (O2S)
  6. Replace Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
  7. Replace Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Purge Control Valve
  8. Replace Spark Plug Wires and Spark Plugs

Old 12-20-2018, 05:05 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does it run and just die off? Or run and abruptly quit with no ability to start back up?

my Idle Control Valve was throwing an error in the scantool, so I didn’t even look at it; I just bought a new one. When it arrived I went out to install it...and my existing ICV was simply unplugged. They do not have a locking clip (why?) and it had vibrated loose I guess. Plugged it back in, hit the key...ran like a new Cadillac without even touching the gas pedal.

Doc

Old 12-21-2018, 07:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

your misfire codes indicate bad coil packs, it likely is running until it gets up to operating temperature and then the bad coil packs are failing on it. I would recommend replacing the coil packs and buy one of the Amazon Bluetooth Elm code readers and watch your oxygen sensor charts after she's warm

Old 12-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ReconDoc83
Does it run and just die off? Or run and abruptly quit with no ability to start back up?
my Idle Control Valve was throwing an error in the scantool, so I didn’t even look at it; I just bought a new one. When it arrived I went out to install it...and my existing ICV was simply unplugged. They do not have a locking clip (why?) and it had vibrated loose I guess. Plugged it back in, hit the key...ran like a new Cadillac without even touching the gas pedal.
Doc
It will run for ~7-10 min then die and will not start. To get it to start, I have to remove the battery and short the Pos & Neg leads together for some period of time.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Extinct
your misfire codes indicate bad coil packs, it likely is running until it gets up to operating temperature and then the bad coil packs are failing on it. I would recommend replacing the coil packs and buy one of the Amazon Bluetooth Elm code readers and watch your oxygen sensor charts after she's warm
My Innova scanner has a live data function. I can view the O2 sensors output in both digial read out as well as graphing form. I will be replacing the coil packs soon. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2003 HSE Disco will not stay running