Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Oil pump failure rate and replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 11:30 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil pump

Originally Posted by Best4x4
If you have an 03 D2 or are looking at one the chance of it having an issue with the dowels or front cover = You'd have a better chance of winning the $50,000,000.00 Power Ball Lottery. It was either done before the D2 was sold, shortly after or if by some miracle it made it past that a previous owner or independent shop fixed it. Most 03's I saw that arrived when the issue arose = didn't make it out of the PDI without having the front timing cover swapped. Those that did drive off the lot and died ended up with 02 RR 4.6L engines that most of the dealerships had in stock at the time (which meant some RR owners got a D2 engine lol).

I have owned probably 5 03 D2's (2 were brand new, 1 was LR Certified Used, and the other two were well over 100K when I got them. My first 03 was not in the VIN range, and I put around 180K on that one without even a HG job. It ate a few sets of OEM spark plug wires, a purge control valve, and an airbox lid. My second 03 did fall into the VIN range, but I was told it was fully inspected and good to go. I got around 160K out of that one with once again nothing besides brake pads, a radiator (hit a deer). I then traded it in on yet another 03 which was the LR Certified Pre Owned one. I was told it had a completely new engine installed at 4,500 miles. It had 25K on it when I bought it. That D2 was very badly treated by my G/F at the time & it some how made it to over 100K before I traded it in.\

D2's are not getting any younger, so finding a well maintained one is getting harder and harder. If it's not in good shape two things have happened. #1 no TLC from previous owners, and repairs done poorly (zip ties & duct tape...). Then #2 is just overall time & age. Oil pumps can wear out on any engine, and mechanical issues can crop up on anything.

If I ever come across another 03 Adriatic Blue D2 with a black Interior = mine lol
Originally Posted by hazletbassist89
Unfortunately a new pump will not fix the issue. The issue isn't necessarily the pump itself, so getting a new one will not fix it. If you replace your pump before the failure happens you can post pone it, but then you're just guessing when it's going to happen. You can save the engine if you see your oil light come on and IMMEDIATELY shut off the engine and then have it towed to a shop to put in a new oil pump.

To be honest though, I'd rather look at an 04. Not having to worry about the issue is worth the little extra money you'll have to spend for me. Also the 04's have the factory CDL lever installed :P
well mine is an 04 an my pump grenaded an took out the cover. So 03 or 04 they both are prone to this problem

Old 05-12-2021, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

No "all" Rover V8 oil pump gears can grenade like that..... It's always a good idea when doing any engine work to go ahead and replace the oil pump gears. Kits are cheap vs a new engine or a rebuild.