Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 03:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by whowa004
Man love the trip recap. Can't believe you ended up on escalator and not hells gate. Hells gate is visually worse than it is, pretty sure the drop down to the bottom is worse than going up it. I didn't lift any tires on the line I took until maybe the very very last ledge.
Thanks whowa004. I wanted to but got scared off by online videos. Also pretty much ran out of time. If I had to do it over again, I would have done 2 days in moab, 1 day in lockhart basin and the last day in grand staircase. Might do it again in a year or so now that I am more knowledgeable. Right now I've got too many repairs to do!

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 03:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
During my years of being in the military one of my specialty codes was as an electrician (comm/nav) on F-16 jets and HH-60G helicopters, I had a side hustle as a car stereo installer. Weird I know. Lol I decided to do the Big 5 cable upgrade on my Disco 2 with ANCOR Marine grade cable tinned copper strands Type 3:

1. 0AWG from battery + to alternator + (through modded fuse box connected to 150A fuse link)

2. 0AWG from battery + to starter +

3. 0AWG from battery - to grounding midpoint

*4. 0AWG from battery - to alternator case/mount

5. 0AWG from chassis to engine

For me it was a personal choice to make and add the extra 0AWG cable from the alternator housing to my quick disconnect switch as a direct ground.
It probably doesn’t need to be done but for me it was a peace of mind for direct voltage and current flow with a thicker gauge cable.

Not sure it is fair that your engine compartment looks that clean!

Old 04-02-2022, 05:42 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Got my new key and programmer from remote key UK. Probably the easiest upgrade I have ever done for my rover. I took all of 5 minutes to program the 2nd key. Highly recommended!

This thread is awesome!! I just programmed my key, it was so simple. really happy that im finally able to lock all my doors now. Thanks for documenting all of this.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Blamo35
This thread is awesome!! I just programmed my key, it was so simple. really happy that im finally able to lock all my doors now. Thanks for documenting all of this.

Thanks Blamo35. I'm glad this thread helped you out!

Old 04-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default 4/3 Update

Finally got around to my under carriage inspection. A few minor leaks to chase down. Most items looked ok except for the rotoflex which was toast. I had my old one so I threw that on there until the new one comes in. Also buffed up the scratches from the Moab escalator and finished them off with a sticker. 😜

Last edited by cvhyatt; 04-03-2022 at 01:26 PM.
Karmakannon (04-04-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 01:32 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that rotoflex was really cooked hard! Never seen one quite like that! Haha

Old 04-03-2022, 02:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CODisco
Wow, that rotoflex was really cooked hard! Never seen one quite like that! Haha
Yeah I think that happened when we were in the dunes on the last day. Can't believe it made the trip 2000 miles back!

Old 04-10-2022, 06:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default 4/10 Update

Found a little rust spot on the frame of my rear windows so I thought I would sand it down and repaint. I pulled the door panels off and trim and found extensive rust damage to the frame and tray that holds the small rear windows in place.

So I removed as much rust as I could with a dremel and a scraper. The I blew it out and soaked it with some rust dissolver. Cleaned it again with alcohol and packed some of the gaps with J&B steel stik. Next I sanded the parts smooth, primed and painted. I couldn’t get to the tray too well so after I removed the rust, I coated it with some PB suface shield to protect it from further oxidation. Paint turned out pretty good - you can barely notice where the original spots were.

If you have these rust spots, I highly recommend you pull the trim and take a closer look. Your window frame may be getting ready to fail.

The following 2 users liked this post by cvhyatt:
The Deputy (04-11-2022), wjsj69 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default 4/14 Update

Steering, steering, steering.

My refurbed steering box is trashed. Going to see if it is still under warranty and get my money back. It’s not leaking but there is about 4 inches of play back and forth before the rover actually turns. I’ve tried adjusting the nut but it doesn’t seem to help.

I have a couple other steering boxes laying around so I haven’t decided if I will take on rebuilding or buy another refurb. Need to do more research.

My steering wheel cover looks terrible too. I checked out a few options but they are all more than I want to pay. Found these guys on eBay so I placed an order. Will let you know how it goes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153834845185

Karmakannon (04-25-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

Call will tillery at rover guy. He’ll get you a good one. He’s one of the few river parts guys I truly trust and he should warranty it for a year too

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild