Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 07:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt

By the way, I snapped the bolts back toward the muffler. Can these be knocked out or are they somehow threaded in the flange?

Dead gaskets
They’re pressed in. It’s going to be an absolutely PITA to drill them out as the metal is heat-hardened now. But once you drill them out, you can just get some bolts and install them and torque them down tight. That’s what I did. Took me I think 3-4 drill bits to get her through and lots and lots of WD-40. I did it under the truck and my shoulders were pretty wrecked the next day. It’s not fun, but definitely doable.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by tnrangerover
They’re pressed in. It’s going to be an absolutely PITA to drill them out as the metal is heat-hardened now. But once you drill them out, you can just get some bolts and install them and torque them down tight. That’s what I did. Took me I think 3-4 drill bits to get her through and lots and lots of WD-40. I did it under the truck and my shoulders were pretty wrecked the next day. It’s not fun, but definitely doable.
I was afraid someone was going to say that. Well good news is that the exhaust is out so I can move it any position I need. Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-05-2022, 08:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

They should hammer out fine. Set a socket under them and slam em out, or a big c clamp to press them out. Get some stainless bolts and weld back into the holes while you've got it out .

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (05-05-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 09:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the tip. Question - why would i need to weld the stainless steel bolts back into the flange rather than just keep them loose?

Old 05-06-2022, 03:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

You can keep them loose, but I always weld bolts into whatever exhaust component I'm working on. Keeps me from needing two wrenches, and if I've only gone 1/4 of the way around the head I can always cut the weld if I need to replace it.

cvhyatt (05-06-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 03:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default 5/7 Update

These are some ugly welds - but don’t judge me - first timer with a new welder.😬 I had a lot of problems dialing in the temps so it would flow against the flange but not be hot enough to burn a hole in the tubing. In any case, I pressure tested them and no soap bubbles so I think I am good. Added a new set of remflex gaskets and some stainless steel flange nuts. Also welded the drivers side heat shield on the cat which had broken loose at the weld. That one was even harder because the metal was so thin.

In any case, it doesn’t sound like a diesel tank anymore so I’m happy. If the welds survive Uwharrie next weekend I think I’ll be ok.

First timer- Don’t judge 😬

whowa004 (05-09-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 08:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default 6/4 Update - For Sale!

Hey all! I am putting my Disco up for sale! I posted in the classified section here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/market/112363

This has been a fun project but I am moving on as I have accomplished all my goals with this Disco (rebuild and drive to Moab). I have over $30k invested in this truck and it runs great - I use it as my daily driver back and forth to work. I'll post more pictures of the current state once I get it cleaned up this weekend.

I am in no hurry and don't need to sell so I am likely not coming down on price. Just wanted to gauge interest. If no one wants it for $20k or more, I will just keep driving it to work.

More pictures and a video walkthru will be posted in the classified in the coming days. Will answer any questions people have. Not listing it anywhere else because I just don't think people would appreciate it like you guys would.

Here's the build sheet - it needs to be updated because I am probably closer to $35k now. I will get to this this weekend. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions about it. Cheers!

Last edited by cvhyatt; 06-04-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Blamo35 (06-05-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 12:10 PM
TReK
Received 520 Likes on 451 Posts

Oh my goodness! After all you’ve done it. I don’t think you’ll have trouble getting your price and I don’t think you’ll have it for long.
Maybe you have already done this but I think you should think about selling for a lot longer. I’m pretty sure you will regret letting it go. It’s one of the nicest best condition D2 out there.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Harvlr
Oh my goodness! After all you’ve done it. I don’t think you’ll have trouble getting your price and I don’t think you’ll have it for long.
Maybe you have already done this but I think you should think about selling for a lot longer. I’m pretty sure you will regret letting it go. It’s one of the nicest best condition D2 out there.
Hey thanks for the compliment! Yeah I probably will regret it at some point. 😜

I’ve put a lot of work and $$$ into it for sure but I completed my missions: first rebuild and off roading with it in Moab.

But I’m not emotionally attached to it and all the major stuff is done so I need to find a shiny new object to keep my brain busy.

Thinking of doing a miata with a corvette engine. 😬

Old 10-05-2022, 05:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default The Final Chapter

Sold the Disco today to nice guy a few miles away who says he has been looking for one for months. This will be his 4th Disco so I was happy to sell to an enthusiast who will put it to good use.

Thanks so much to everybody who helped me with this thing over the past 3 years. It’s really been a blast and, although frustrating at times, it was worth every minute.

You guys take care!

The following 3 users liked this post by cvhyatt:
andino (10-05-2022), whowa004 (10-05-2022), wjsj69 (10-06-2022)

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco 2 Engine Rebuild