Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Row 'double' seat is frozen

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Row 'double' seat is frozen

I purchased a 2001 D2
The double back seat will not lock so it will fall down at any time - unsafe.

I am unable to get the seat to roll forward to inspect the locking mechanism or try to reseat it. It is totally jammed in the down position (but will seat back unlockable)

When I pull the top handle I can see the release strap goes up/down and also when pulling lower strap the handle at top goes up/down so it seems the cable is still connected.

I thought I could remove the seat by taking out the bolts. Then see how I could get at the locking mechanism used to secure it to the floor. I then discovered that 2 of the 4 bolts that must be removed and can only be accessed when the seat is rolled forward (which i cant do). So it seems there is no way to unbolt the seat.

I am literally stuck as I cant get to the bolts as the seats need to roll forward.
Pulling on strap does nothing to allow seat to roll forward

Any other suggestions on how i can get this seat out to further inspect the issue.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by mherson; 08-24-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: not clear enough
Old 08-23-2009, 11:01 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

didn't understand that last sentence. btw there are 4 bolts holding down each mid row seats.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

45 seconds in the microwave will defrost it...

Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i think the problem is the rear latch is not pushing into the floor plate all the way. without the latch in the plate you won't be able to life the back of the seat up straight. as for taking the seats out. you're right there are bolts however you can flip them up and over into the foot well to create a good amount of room. just make sure you have the front seats up a little bit then you can pull them back when the rear seats are flipped up and over.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Drifting
Default back seat frozen - revised description to be more clear

All,
I have revised my initial posting to be more clear, I think I was half asleep when I wrote it.

I seem to be literally 'stuck' as I cant get to the bolts so inspect the mechanism as the seat wont roll forward. I can figure out how else to release the seat.

The seat does not lock in the 'up' position either. So basically the seat is jammed down with the seat back flopping around.

I appreciate any ones thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think we need video

Old 08-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Drifting

are you serious? i am happy to post a video or a link to one on youtube if it will help. i am new to the forum and am not sure if i am being gullible to think someone would want that. basically, this seat is stuck in the down position and the back wont lock.
-matt

Old 08-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah. lets see video. or some pics at least. you're stuck in the floor plate is what you're saying. and you can't get it to lock or go forward and pull out of the floor plate.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Drifting

hilltoppersx
Thanks for stating my issue in 10 words far better than I can do in 100.

Yes, that is the exact problem. I am happy to take pics, but there is not much to see. Is there something in particular that I should photograph. Not trying to be thick headed.

I guess I am wondering if there is a place of attack that I could try to release from floor. I have tried squirting a ton of lube hoping that it would magically free itself. Of course I have used brute force of yanking the strap. I have also put some body weight on the seat wondering if I could see it better.

I am already wondering if the sawzall will need to come out for me to cut the seat off. That is clearly my VERY last resort.

I will try and get some pics out soon, but if there are any ideas in the meantime that's great

Thanks
Matt