Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd or 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2wd or 4wd?

Hey all,

I followed the manual on moving the small lever in front of the Gear Selector Lever. I see there is a L N H. If I put it in H, it's normal driving in 4wd, correct? If so, what does "N" do? I tried to put in N, but get a flashing light and dinging noise. Almost like a warning icon, or is it? Can this truck be put in 2wd?

Sorry for the noob questions

Leo

Old 05-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Depending on which year of truck you have, you may only have the option to change from high range to low range in your transfer case. This is gearing, nothing to do with 4wd/2wd. Your truck is permanently 4wd.

If you have an '04 discovery 2 or a discovery 1 (also some earlier discovery 2's depending on whether it was reinstalled by the previous owner) you may have he option to lock the center differential, which will provide increased traction in areas where the traction control and electronic systems struggle.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Depending on which year of truck you have, you may only have the option to change from high range to low range in your transfer case. This is gearing, nothing to do with 4wd/2wd. Your truck is permanently 4wd.

If you have an '04 discovery 2 or a discovery 1 (also some earlier discovery 2's depending on whether it was reinstalled by the previous owner) you may have he option to lock the center differential, which will provide increased traction in areas where the traction control and electronic systems struggle.
Perfect info. I wasn't aware the Discovery was all time 4wd. My Expedition can do both 2wd and 4wd so I wasn't sure and this clarifys it. Mine is a 2000 Discovery II.

Thanks for this reply. So this "N" could be this Traction Control?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

N is neutral. High, neutral, low. Traction control is on all the time.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
N is neutral. High, neutral, low. Traction control is on all the time.
What does "N" do? Disconnect all normal gears?

Old 05-19-2015, 12:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes. Becomes usefull if u need to tow the truck.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
Yes. Becomes usefull if u need to tow the truck.
Awesome! Good to know.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth

x1 spot on. Just to emphasise, whatever gear be it high or low range the D2 is permanent 4x4 unless you lock the centre diff (if you have that facility) and remove the front driveshaft and only then will you be in 2 wheel drive to the rear wheels. With the transfer gear in neutral N you will be going nowhere under power.

Traction control was the LR electronic and poor answer to a center diff lock and works sometimes but has limited abilities particularly offroad.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Just for overly didactic clarity:

N on the Transfer case (front) lever puts the transfer case into neutral so both drivelines are disconnected from both the engine and the transmission.

N on the Transmistion (back) lever put's the transmission into neutral so the engine and the transfer case are disconnected (the front and rear driveline will still be connected by the transfer case, that will act as a differential unless you have a center locking differential and it's engaged).

Old 05-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Just to be totally 100% about something. To tow it, is dropping the transmission to neutral ok, or is it recommended to disengage the transfer case instead/as well?

Quick Reply: 2wd or 4wd?