Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd or 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, your weakpoint right now is the rear axle (if you dont' have HD axles, full-lockers are known to snap them), and your spider gears up front.

It's one of the reasons many go for tru-tracs on Discos, with the Traction Control working, you get most of the performance of the locker, but they will slip enough to protect your axle shafts.

Sounds like you are doing some pretty hard-core rock crawling routes, you may want to look at HD shafts in the back and a Tru-Trac up front. I believe that is what Disco Mike runs and he likes it a lot.

I'll probably go True-Tracs front and rear with 4.55 gear ratio, since that is what GBR recommends and their shop is only a couple of hours from my house. I'm not planning on doing the upgrade until I break a spider-gear though, or I start to struggle in Moab (I haven't tackled any super-difficult trails yet).

The following users liked this post:
Shade Tree (07-15-2015)
Old 08-26-2022, 01:33 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
x1 spot on. Just to emphasise, whatever gear be it high or low range the D2 is permanent 4x4 unless you lock the centre diff (if you have that facility) and remove the front driveshaft and only then will you be in 2 wheel drive to the rear wheels. With the transfer gear in neutral N you will be going nowhere under power.

Traction control was the LR electronic and poor answer to a center diff lock and works sometimes but has limited abilities particularly offroad.
hi. New to land rovers we have the d2 2001

our prop/driveshaft broke on the front while we was away so we had somone lock it to rwd so that we could get home to replace the front shaft we’ve done this. However being new to this. We’ve not managed to get it back into 4wd is there anything we are not doing right.

thanks stacey

Old 08-26-2022, 03:41 PM
Mudding
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey Stacey,

Two comments.

First, you should probably start a new thread and link to the old one rather than resurrect a 7 year old thread. Kind of a forum etiquette thing. But since we are here....

Second, it is removing the drive shaft that made it 2WD, not the "lock". The transfer case has an open differential inside. They didn't lock it in RWD, they locked it in 4WD, but with the front shaft removed this made it RWD only. If you remove the front driveshaft and don't engage the diff lock, you will go nowhere as the transfer case just tries to spin the missing front driveshaft, which is the path of least resistance. If you have replaced your driveshaft, then you need to unlock the t-case diff before you drive on pavement or you risk damaging the drivetrain. If you google or search the forum for "center diff lock" you should find a wealth of information as well as instructions for how to engage/disengage it.

Externet (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 07:28 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stacey1994
hi. New to land rovers we have the d2 2001

our prop/driveshaft broke on the front while we was away so we had somone lock it to rwd so that we could get home to replace the front shaft we’ve done this. However being new to this. We’ve not managed to get it back into 4wd is there anything we are not doing right.

thanks stacey
My god you got lucky lol! Usually the front shaft kills the transmission when it goes

ahab (08-26-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 10:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPDano
Perfect info. I wasn't aware the Discovery was all time 4wd. My Expedition can do both 2wd and 4wd so I wasn't sure and this clarifys it. Mine is a 2000 Discovery II.

Thanks for this reply. So this "N" could be this Traction Control?
N means neutral.... Completely disengaged.