Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" lift HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
13 yr old truck with 110k miles is going to need to new springs. without them whatever shock you put on is going to have to compensate for an old saggy spring. if i only had $700 to spend on suspension for a truck with that old with a stock setup i would spend $700 for terrafirma springs and shocks rather then $700 on a set of remote reservoir fox shocks and leave the old springs. but you do whatever you want with your truck, thankfully im not the one that has to drive it.
The new springs were necessitated by the fact that the back left was sagging, and I didn't imagine 1 new spring would do much other than make the others look saggy. Also, as I mentioned, I have a direct comparison vehicle (even the same color!), and its ride is very smooth. When I pull into my driveway (pretty steep at street), even at a slow speed, the front feels like it is hitting stops... hence new springs and shocks.

And I'm RICH, didn't I mention? not really... if I was I think I would be driving a D110 with a corvette engine.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really glad to hear this - I have the same lift from Justin...

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
For posterity, I ordered the 3" lift after speaking with Justin at Lucky8; I will post pictures before and after in about a week when it arrives. Looks like I can install it in about an hour.

Basically, he told me there is alot of confusion related to the difference between actual height of competing lift systems. The RTE 3" lift, for instance, put you at more like 4.5. OME, more like 4". According to Justin, Terrafirm's is an exact 3" lift, and that is why you don't need all of the extra stuff unless you plan to go offroad on a regular basis. So, we will see. He said if I have a problem I can just swap for the 2" lift. Same price (and shocks) anyway.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Again for posterity in case someone else reads this after doing all of the research that boggled my mind...

My 3" Terrafirm coils and shock arrived yesterday (along with new steering dampener). I installed all four coils and shocks in about 2 hours. When I put the same on the other Disco I can probably shave about 30 minutes off. There is a great Lucky8 video that is entirely accurate regarding the install.

Install: Watch the video. The only tools I used were a floor jack to hold up the frame, the Land Rover bottle jack to make it easier to install the new springs, a 13mm speed wrench and socket, and an 18mm wrench and socket. A crow bar came in handy to muscle the springs a bit, and a rubber mallet also helped; but most people could get by without those. I also, of course, took my tires off with a 1/2 inch breaker bar and sockets that I use instead of the stock crow bar.

Post Install observations: Very easy job. If you are installing to do major offroading with full articulation, longer brake lines would be a necessity. For my onroad use, I am just going to get the longer ones when it is time to replace the stock ones. Ride height is noticeably higher, especially considering that my old shocks were literally nonfunctional and my old springs sagged. Ride is great. I haven't experienced a factory ride in a Disco II for several years (and neither has anyone else), so I can't make a direct comparison, but from memory the ride is a tiny bit more bouncy and noticeably more firm (the Lucky8 setup is medium duty springs, which are firmer than the stock, soft, springs). Steering feels tighter and slower to return to center after a turn, but at least part of that could be the new steering dampener and the rest is not a problem. Look from the outside (I do have another, identical Rover, without a lift, to compare) is noticeably different. It appears more like an old school Isuzu Trooper in ride height, which is a good thing from my perspective. The stock setup has always seemed to low by a couple of inches, to my eyes (which has been made worse with more recent LR3's, LR4's, Sports, etc... all of which look like fat June bugs and cargo vans).

Since I already needed new shocks and springs, this was a no brainer. If I hadn't needed them, I probably would think that I paid to much for the difference.

Now to figure out tires. I have settled on Hankook 265/70/16 Dynapro AT's (8 ply LT's--for South America drive). They are about 10.5 inches wide. I really would like to get 33's (these are 31.8, essentially) and a bit wider... but the cost difference is vast (184 a tire installed for Dynapro's versus 349 a tire for Toyo Open Country M/T 33/12.5's). Any more comments on max possible/recommended tire size?

I remain,

A Happy Camper

Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

The Lucky8 3" lift is HD coils, not medium duty coils. Medium duty will not get you a 3" lift as Terrafirma does not offer a 3" medium duty lift.