Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35s on the D2

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 05:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Wow, you trimmed way more than I did for 35s. I am at stock offset, I wonder if that is the difference? Do you rub on radius arms at full lock?

I've got the same gearing with lockers. Still need to build sliders and I am certain I'll be breaking the stock axle shafts and have to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Super sharp rig. Here's mine. Unfortunately no close up of the rear trimming. I'll see if I can get one today maybe.

Edit: Just noticed your GA plates. Hello from VA! What part of the sate? Ever make it to NC/TN to go wheeling?

Also might be interested in your bent ARB if the price is right. Love the look of em.

Name:  Uo0li7z.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  3.69 MB

Name:  vnPNZeo.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  2.61 MB

Name:  L6Wflgr.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  2.61 MB

Last edited by Alex_M; 03-08-2023 at 05:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alex_M:
jacobmstein (03-08-2023), whowa004 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:38 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Wow, you trimmed way more than I did for 35s. I am at stock offset, I wonder if that is the difference? Do you rub on radius arms at full lock?

I've got the same gearing with lockers. Still need to build sliders and I am certain I'll be breaking the stock axle shafts and have to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Super sharp rig. Here's mine. Unfortunately no close up of the rear trimming. I'll see if I can get one today maybe.

Edit: Just noticed your GA plates. Hello from VA! What part of the sate? Ever make it to NC/TN to go wheeling?

Also might be interested in your bent ARB if the price is right. Love the look of em.

Sweet truck, that Ashcroft sticker makes it look oddly familiar. It's probably the spacers, without them I'd rub on radius arms for sure since I did with 33s. When they're this far out you lose the ability to tuck behind the body so you end up deleting a lot more.

And yeah, I live up in Athens but prefer TN/NC. I have been to URE and Windrock a few times. This week I'm actually going up to the Jefferson forest.

A friend of mine planned a Windrock trip end of April if you wanna come along, your truck looks up to it!

As for the ARB, just the winch cradle bowed and it's not noticeable. My issue is it likes to slide around in the channels under winching and I'd prefer better approach in general. I trimmed it very nicely with a circular saw to not destroy resale value. Just waiting on the replacement and I'll let you know.

Last edited by jacobmstein; 03-08-2023 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 805 Likes on 531 Posts

the wider offset 100% requires more trimming but you don't hit radius arms, my steelies are like that with no spacers. Not enough skinny tires period even on 17" wheels only Kenda makes a 35x10.5x17 tire and nitto is the only option at 11.5 wide...trucks are looking good! For what it's worth 315/75/16 is a 35" tire.. there is no true 35". Plus all the manufacturers listed size vs actual is all over the place. KO2s and BF in general are notoriously smaller than their listed size (which is already smaller than most).

Always thought I was going to go 35s on my white disco but now that it's got the RTT and everything it's going to stick 285s for the foreseeable future and wheel my RRC as it's far superior to any d2 I've wheeled. The extra wheelbase really is noticeable and is a very point and shoot wheeling experience with far less lateral movement when mobbing around or the slower rougher stuff. Much less fatigued at the end of the day.

The following users liked this post:
jacobmstein (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Also the ARBs look great but jeez what an awful wheeling option. Keep your eyes open for an OG safarigard (not the new "knock off" that's being produced now), RTE or tactical rovers bumpers..they all pop up used from time to time and a bumper from a classic in those models fit a d2 I believe.

jacobmstein (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by whowa004
the wider offset 100% requires more trimming but you don't hit radius arms, my steelies are like that with no spacers. Not enough skinny tires period even on 17" wheels only Kenda makes a 35x10.5x17 tire and nitto is the only option at 11.5 wide...trucks are looking good! For what it's worth 315/75/16 is a 35" tire.. there is no true 35". Plus all the manufacturers listed size vs actual is all over the place. KO2s and BF in general are notoriously smaller than their listed size (which is already smaller than most).

Always thought I was going to go 35s on my white disco but now that it's got the RTT and everything it's going to stick 285s for the foreseeable future and wheel my RRC as it's far superior to any d2 I've wheeled. The extra wheelbase really is noticeable and is a very point and shoot wheeling experience with far less lateral movement when mobbing around or the slower rougher stuff. Much less fatigued at the end of the day.
It's definitely diminishing returns, just on my D2 the 33s looked sort of small to me vs. these look huge. Not sure what it is. As you mentioned, the RTT is now just 2" higher (1" spring spacers + sidewall) so probably gonna sell it and go for front/rear anti-rock sways which'll make it a better wheeler and maybe slightly better on-road.

whowa004 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:55 PM
Mudding

Also the ARBs look great but jesus what an awful wheeling option. Keep your eyes open for an OG safarigard (not the new "knock off" that's being produced now), RTE or tactical rovers bumpers..they all pop up used from time to time and a bumper from a classic in those models fit a d2 I believe.
I already ordered/paid for an RTE 2.5 years ago now I think and was told I'd have it in the next month along with sliders. Seems like it'll be a little longer but hopefully soon.

whowa004 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:59 PM
Pro Wrench

I'll get a pic of my classic next to my white disco for size comparison. If the wife didn't like the RTT, I definitely would not have one as I've got no issue with ground tents. It looks like you've got a great wheeling option with the D1 and then more camp/overland with the D2, the anitrock sways should help significantly but they are pricey. In my experience you can't have the best of everything. Comfortable camping experience is a ton of added weight and add that to an armored modified rover it's going to be brutal on the highway (here at elevation at least) and a very rough/tippy wheeling experience. Keep the D1 just armored as light as possible, it will outflex a d2 easily all day long.

jacobmstein (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 01:01 PM
Mudding

I'll get a pic of my classic next to my white disco for size comparison. If the wife didn't like the RTT, I definitely would not have one as I've got no issue with ground tents. It looks like you've got a great wheeling option with the D1 and then more camp/overland with the D2, the anitrock sways should help significantly but they are pricey. In my experience you can't have the best of everything. Comfortable camping experience is a ton of added weight and add that to an armored modified rover it's going to be brutal on the highway (here at elevation at least) and a very rough/tippy wheeling experience. Keep the D1 just armored as light as possible, it will outflex a d2 easily all day long.
That D1 is actually my mom's, I'm the owner and I fix it but I'm too tall to use the clutch, my knee hits the steering wheel. It's a 3.9 5 speed. It has a full early 2000s RTE lift and front bumper along with a power tank and air lockers, it's a super cool rig.

The Front Runner rack on the D2 is aluminum so light and the sale of the tent will fund the sways, should be a little better in the rocks. I'd also like to let my dogs in the tent anyhow.

Edit: I was trying to find the previous owners a while back which I eventually located on FB. Here's some pics: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...covery-113131/

Last edited by jacobmstein; 03-08-2023 at 01:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jacobmstein:
Alex_M (03-08-2023), whowa004 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Thanks brother. I also rubbed on 33s, but I figure if it's just radius arms it won't hurt the arms or tires too much. Definitely the rubbing is a bit advanced with 35s.

I was at this past URE, if you were there mightve seen it. Never been to Windrock, but I want to. Been talking about making a trip down. Shoot me a DM and we'll swap numbers. Not whether April is do-able or not - possibly - but would love to get together at some point either way.

Depending on what part of Jefferson, you might not be too far. We're in the Abingdon/Bristol VA area.

That's a common complaint I hear with the ARB. I really want one on my black '03 which will be more of a driver than a wheeler when I get it back in the road. Probably just see some mild wheeling here and there. Yeah, let me know.

Originally Posted by jacobmstein
Sweet truck, that Ashcroft sticker makes it look oddly familiar. It's probably the spacers, without them I'd rub on radius arms for sure since I did with 33s. When they're this far out you lose the ability to tuck behind the body so you end up deleting a lot more.

And yeah, I live up in Athens but prefer TN/NC. I have been to URE and Windrock a few times. This week I'm actually going up to the Jefferson forest.

A friend of mine planned a Windrock trip end of April if you wanna come along, your truck looks up to it!

As for the ARB, just the winch cradle bowed and it's not noticeable. My issue is it likes to slide around in the channels under winching and I'd prefer better approach in general. I trimmed it very nicely with a circular saw to not destroy resale value. Just waiting on the replacement and I'll let you know.

Last edited by Alex_M; 03-08-2023 at 09:31 PM.