Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 vs 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The vehicles, not the engines

Old 06-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty sure that 99-04 Discovery 2's curb weight is roughly the same.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I was actually referring to a DI vs a DII's weight. Guess I should have put more info in that post. But for my own S.A., I looked it up (and yahoo autos is NOT to be disputed!)...

Curb weight:
99 = 4,465
04 = 4,630

You're probably right, that's really not much of a difference on a vehicle like this.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Is that a 99 D1 or 99 D2?

Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

DiscoMike said: " The 4.6 has a little more power but drops more sleeves and has the same possible head gasket failure."
How is it that the 4.6 "drops more sleeves," when they have a shoulder, part of aluminum block, at base of each sleeve, effectively preventing the sleeves, liners, from moving down---I know for fact that shoulders are there, because I have inspected them myself! The only way a sleeve could move downward would be to have a sleeve break out one of these shoulders, and I don't see that happening any time soon. I have heard some people say that the sleeves, sometimes were not pressed all the way down against these shoulders, but I have examined several blocks, and found not a single sleeve not down hard against shoulder.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by earlyrover
DiscoMike said: " The 4.6 has a little more power but drops more sleeves and has the same possible head gasket failure."
How is it that the 4.6 "drops more sleeves," when they have a shoulder, part of aluminum block, at base of each sleeve, effectively preventing the sleeves, liners, from moving down---I know for fact that shoulders are there, because I have inspected them myself! The only way a sleeve could move downward would be to have a sleeve break out one of these shoulders, and I don't see that happening any time soon. I have heard some people say that the sleeves, sometimes were not pressed all the way down against these shoulders, but I have examined several blocks, and found not a single sleeve not down hard against shoulder.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyrover
Never heard that before. There are plenty of people here with evidence of slipped liners on 4.6 blocks.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just so I understand.. The main culprit for slipped sleeves is overheating.. Yes?

Typically that s due to improper maintenance.. Yes?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Eldonkey
So just so I understand.. The main culprit for slipped sleeves is overheating.. Yes?

Typically that s due to improper maintenance.. Yes?
Nope, it's inevitable.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how in the heck can you justify buying one of these? I've driven them, loved em, but jeez, it sounds like both engines are doomed to premature failure!