Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6/hp24 into 4.0/hp22

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 07:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I guess I will go ahead and end this thread since I just have a few little gremlins to chase down. I found a cracked manifold in my lower coolant lines. My oil sender is apparently a problem. And I may have a bad MAF or a coil issue. None of this impacts the swap though. It is just a matter of having sixteen year old parts next to new parts.

The bottom line is that the 4.6 works fine in a former 4.0 truck. Close off the SAI tubes if you didn't have them before and hook it up to your wiring harness and transmission. I have a spare zf4hp24 but I've decided to give my hp22 a chance. If you get a newer timing cover the oil sender may have a different thread than your old one. If you want to swap transmissions just be sure to get the swept transmission mounts because the bell housing in the bigger transmission pushes things back about an inch and a half to make room for a larger torque converter. Everything else is a drop in, direct fit. Assuming that I can chase down these gremlins I will be a happy camper indeed.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in!! I have often said that the only reason I have kept this old Rover is that the people of Land Rover Forums are so helpful, and you are.

Best,

Charlie V

Last edited by Charlie_V; 02-21-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Double check that your pick up tube is tight and has the o ring or gasket. I forgot mine and had low oil pressure. If you have a pressurized lawn sprayer you can convert it to back pressurize the oil pump via the oil pipe. If you want instructions let me know.

Good luck though! I thought I just finished a full rebuild but it looks like I'm pulling the motor again... These things are finicky

Old 02-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

Last thing. You might've posted, but which pistons did you end up using?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can end the thread without a video of it running

Old 02-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

Seconded

Old 02-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by RedRovin'
Double check that your pick up tube is tight and has the o ring or gasket. I forgot mine and had low oil pressure. If you have a pressurized lawn sprayer you can convert it to back pressurize the oil pump via the oil pipe. If you want instructions let me know.

Good luck though! I thought I just finished a full rebuild but it looks like I'm pulling the motor again... These things are finicky
Good point and I was sure of that because when I replaced the oil pan I was tired... Not paying attention as I should. Put the last bolts on the bell housing then looked over my shoulder and saw the pickup tube. Back under the truck, in the muck, slippery tools, a foot or more of socket extensions, rain threatening, fighting the concrete expansion joint that catches the wheels of my creeper every fricken time I go over it. Ugh. #Epicfail. I just laid under it and wiped everything off for a couple of minutes because it was easier than moving. At least the truck is cleaner than my overalls which, at this point, are surely considered toxic waste.

I set a land speed record, fueled by adrenalin, pulling the pan, putting a new o ring on the pickup tube, replacing it, and returning the pan after dabbing some new rtv at critical locations... this with the pan always under the truck and off the ground.

At the moment I am idled waiting for a new plastic manifold for the lower coolant lines (ordered last night) so please do give me those instructions. I'd planned to just pull the fuel pump relay or the connection to the fuel pump and let the starter prime it for me. I also ordered new spark plug wires (Kingaborn 8mm RED) and I'm going to get some champion 318s today to replace my Bosch +4s.

Why do you have to pull it again? I hope it wasn't a bad injector causing a cascade of badness.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 02-22-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Default Video

Video will be forthcoming for sure, but I have to wait for a few things: new plugs and wires and the coolant manifold. It is oiled up but has no coolant right now. I have an extra set of hoses but I would have to undo my bypass and I just don't wanna. The hoses I have are the old style without the manifold.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 02-22-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

What manifold do you keep referring to?

For mine, either the rings didn't seat or the shop didn't check the bore correctly and because of that I have low compression. It still drives, but has lack of power and blowby. I'll get you instructions with pictures tonight or tomorrow when I'm out of class

Old 02-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Last thing. You might've posted, but which pistons did you end up using?
I wimped out and used the 4.6 pistons. I don't know how much was taken off the heads and was guided by my bad luck in the decision.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by RedRovin'
What manifold do you keep referring to?

For mine, either the rings didn't seat or the shop didn't check the bore correctly and because of that I have low compression. It still drives, but has lack of power and blowby. I'll get you instructions with pictures tonight or tomorrow when I'm out of class
Okay thank you.

This is what I am calling a manifold...

I just don't know what to call it. I have a third grade rover education and don't own a single spanner or propshaft--just wrenches and driveshafts and manifolds. The side out where the small heater hose is has a microscopic, invisible crack or hole. I watched it drip slowly, wiped it off, etc., moved the clamp, put a second clamp on it... I was actually real patient with it now that I reflect (#goldstarforme) all to not avail (#patiencegetsyounowhere). Because of where it sits and all of the inputs, clamps, and hoses it is hard to tell where coolant might be coming from. I finally lost patience, took it out and put soapy water on it, then used my hands to cover the holes and blew in the hose. The bubbles came out of the part right before the flange for that hose. I can't see anything wrong with it but I've spent too much money on my daughter's cats to let them drink my brand new antifreeze. I ordered a lower setup to get the plastic thing (manifold?) and have some new hoses to chop up for my bypass setup.

What you described on your engine is such a bad deal. Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. Sincere condolences. Alot of work to set that right.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 02-22-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.6/hp24 into 4.0/hp22