Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.5 subwoofer box on rear door pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I've got a custom enclosure with a 10" sub that i strap down in the back between two of the D rings in the floor in front of one of the cargo bins, it does get in the way at times. This is powered by a 300w amp under the pass seat which powers the front doors as well as the sub. The sound is excellent.

The only thing I'd like to do different is fab an encosure the exact size of one of the storage bins and bolt that in place of one of the bins. would not be a difficult job if you had fiberglass experience.

have not actually heard of anyone doing that but if it has been done I'd like to see the result.
I had thought of that a little after getting the truck, it's definitely a good idea. let me know if you do that. Then you can fit a bit bigger woofer with enough cubic feet to be worth its size.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But then where would all the tool sets, oil and coolant canisters, and spare parts go.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aguison
Awesome! Would you mind sharing the design?
The subwoofers are Kicker Cvt 654. They are shallow mount subs and the only subs I could make work in stock location which was my first step. Jl audio makes a 6.5 sub that would work in the enclosure I built. The JLs are twice the price and since bass is not my biggest concern I am happy with what I originally bought and just used them when I decided to build the enclosure.

The enclosure dimensions are:

Total length: 22"
Height: 7.75"
Depth:5.5"
Length from left side to point of front angle:20.5"

These measurements make it a tight fit so you should test fit the enclosure before any finish work is done.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
6.5"...not really a subwoofer regardless.
The Kicker Cvt 654 has a frequency range down to 25 hz. I'm sure you are referring to frequencies below 20 hz that can not be heard but cause the vibrations that are associated with rap etc. I rarely listen to rap and did not need a sub with very low frequency response which would have taken up my cargo area.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Camel Trophy

I'd have to hear it, I've never heard a sub smaller than 8" reproduce low frequency sounds correctly.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Camel Trophy

Even 8"s don't get the lows 12"s do. I'm not a hood rat, I don't only listen to rap, but I do occasionally, more like hip hop even then though.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I'd have to hear it, I've never heard a sub smaller than 8" reproduce low frequency sounds correctly.
How low of a frequency do you mean? 25 hz which these subs are rated down to will not give you the rumble which happens below 20hz. I don't really need subs that go that low.

My intention was to have a great sounding system not a bass mobile.

Front stage: Dls up36i
Rear fill: Dls K 6
Amp: Zed Leviathan III
And the subs.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Bet it sounds great. Anything would be better than a 10 year old speaker... I had a DI with completely blown rear speakers...through in some 3-ways i had laying around the garage and boy was that an improvement.

What did you do about the Amp? Are you still using the stock one? And did you replace any other speakers?

Sweet setup thanks for sharing.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by nychaze
Bet it sounds great. Anything would be better than a 10 year old speaker... I had a DI with completely blown rear speakers...through in some 3-ways i had laying around the garage and boy was that an improvement.

What did you do about the Amp? Are you still using the stock one? And did you replace any other speakers?

Sweet setup thanks for sharing.
------
Originally Posted by Waterfowl
How low of a frequency do you mean? 25 hz which these subs are rated down to will not give you the rumble which happens below 20hz. I don't really need subs that go that low.

My intention was to have a great sounding system not a bass mobile.

Front stage: Dls up36i
Rear fill: Dls K 6
Amp: Zed Leviathan III
And the subs.

Quick Reply: 6.5 subwoofer box on rear door pics.