Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.5 subwoofer box on rear door pics.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Excuse me if I am being naive but can't we just replace the 6.5" woofers that are stock in the rear door sw housing(Phillips or Harmon-Kardon)? Someone perhaps even HK or Phillips likely makes woofers that could fit in those same housings without having to alter the fitments. Just asking because I cherish good quality sound in my vehicles and having the luxury of a logic-7 HK system in my sedan has spoiled me with theater like sound in a vehicle )))

Old 03-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, late reply to a old post

Yes you can, but just replacing the drivers are going to give you so much. In my opinion, the stock subwoofer and power supplied to them is just tonal fill and not really a subwoofer.

There are aftermarket 6.5"s that will fit in there with little modification, and they will go lower than the stock ones, but not really "SUBWOOFER" low. You can get the marketing below 35hz out of these aftermarket 6.5s, but only if you build a 1cf box and port it right. Only way to get something that small to move enough air to go that low!

But even going that way with a set of very expensive JL 6W3v3, you are going to have to use a aftermarket amp. Then you have to worry about what the source single is going to be. The amp in a High Line rover has built in crossover points.

You could get some woofers that can perform good in a infinite baffle configuration and put them in the stock box, such as the EarthQuake SWS-6.5 or Kicker CompVT 08CVT654, but you are going to have to aftermarket amp those as well.

If you are wanting the sound quality of a modern day high end factory system, you are going to have to undergo a major overhaul. If you just want to get a little better, don't waste the money on Kicker, EarthQuakes, and JLs. Just get some cheap Pyramids and see what you get out of them.

If you want to get crazy, PM me and I can let you know what my research has been and give you a idea of what I am currently doing with my Daughter's DII to put some thump in.