Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 D2 "new" high mileage service progress

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 D2 "new" high mileage service progress

Hey All,

Well I am cranking through a good bit of the recommended services recommended for 60-100k+ mile "new owners". (Am waiting on the vehicle to soak for the undercarriage de-greasing and wanted to pop in on how to check the transmission fluid, but thought I would take the time to post some gibberish for everyone to laugh at me with.)

So far I can cross off the list:
  • Fixed front headlight damage.
    • New adjuster sockets.
  • Cleaned out MAF / AF Housing.
  • Upper engine degrease / clean up.
  • Greased F/R Axle...
    • Found my grease gun sucks... and that I will likely need to keep an eye on these as im having some issue getting the grease to flow good on the U Joints.
  • Oil Change - Rotella 15w40
    • Noticed ticking noise reduced as many say will happen, but it was still present... (found the likely problem during the Induction Sea Foam treatment below)
  • Front / Rear Diff change to HD fluid
    • - A bit of a pain in the butt, spent more time "cutting" out the plastic craptastic plugs, and didnt have 40 bucks for the nice brass ones so I guess I'll be re-doing this next year in regards to the plugs.
  • Throttle Body cleaning / Induction Sea Foam
    • I love this stuff, used to use it on my old turbo Volvo! Good times! (Found both gaskets from header to downpipes are missing a bolt and was obviously leaking as the sea foam coming out was a good indicator - parts on order)
  • Coolant Flush - Replaced with 50/50 Peak + Water wetter
    • This turned out to be Real pain as it seemed the previous owner replaced the hose with the bleeder screw with a two piece hose running from the Rad Upper to the Tee. (Of course the Tee also didn't have a bleeder... Grrr.) I checked up on some of the more popular parts sites for a replacement / upgrade TEE with bleeder screw but was unable to find one, if someone could shoot me a link for one it would be much appreciated.
This weekend's project consist of:

• Undercarriage DE-greasing
    • (its drying as we speak) so I can determine where this thing is leaking...
  • Checking transmission fluid level
    • I suspect a leak from the Transmission, but couldn't really see where from as the entire bottom of the engine / transmission was wet/oiled.
  • Trying to get the 4 - yes 4 (out of the freaking 8 bolts) that are sheared off on the cross-member near the transfer case so I can see about resealing the cover and changing the gear oil.
    • Apparently the shop that replaced the transmission about 9k miles ago didn't really do quality work... again GRRR.
Next weekend:
  • brake bleeding 101
  • possible transmission and valley pan seal replacement... (ugh).
  • Transfer case fluid change / reseal providing I can get the sheared off bolts removed / replaced.

Anyways, Wanted to say hi, and make a post but I'm finding I don't have much reason to post normally as most of my questions to date are answered by the fine search function! Thanks all for your contributions!

Old 05-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You made a mistake cleaning your MAF, chances are it will start throwing codes soon.'/As for the service. Follow my major service list at the top of this section adding anything else you want to do in addition.
Has your front dive shaft been rebuilt, does it have 3 grease fittings plus the slip shaft plug, if not, it needs to be done before it fails and takes out your tranny.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You made a mistake cleaning your MAF, chances are it will start throwing codes soon.'/As for the service. Follow my major service list at the top of this section adding anything else you want to do in addition.
Has your front dive shaft been rebuilt, does it have 3 grease fittings plus the slip shaft plug, if not, it needs to be done before it fails and takes out your tranny.
Care to expand on the MAF cleaning? It has always been part of the maintenance on every vehicle I have ever owned. I know Rovers have a mind of their own but I don't see why it would be any different?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:27 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DII MAF's are weak sauce and don't hold up to cleaning...

Old 05-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Mudding

Ahh. News to me. Does that apply to D1's as well? Would be good to know.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Sorry to thread jack! Any ideas where to get the front prop shaft rebuilt?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by badicedog
Sorry to thread jack! Any ideas where to get the front prop shaft rebuilt?
A local driveline shop. Why don't you just start a new thread. You will get more responses if you take that route.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the Feedback. I am using your service guide religiously! I have found it to be invaluable in guiding me to what to do.

Regarding the MAF cleaning I did - I only cleaned the electrical contacts and cleaned the debris off of the intake grill. From prior experience with the volvos I mentioned, I did nothing internal as I didnt feel like having to buy a replacement... I understand these are pretty darn sensitive.

Regarding the front axle, well as with many other things I am finding with the prior service on this truck, who ever took care of it previously only did things half way. i.e. It has the U-Joint at the rear with the zerg, and the slip joint plug. Of course the front joint (cardan joint?) looks like stock with no fittings... yay a rebuild is in order, being hard headed I will probably pull it out and do it myself (and from what I read here, seriously regretting it about half way through.) I simply don't trust any shops to do things right.

Of course as I was poking around under it, I found more freaking support bolts broken and missing for the cross member under the transmission and under the trans axle. On the up side, the transmission seems to be full and has fresh fluid - well minus the half pint or so that drained as I was fumbling to get the upper fill plug back in.

Last edited by Belthasar; 05-22-2011 at 10:26 AM.