Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Discovery Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Discovery Overheating

Before anyone gets annoyed I have read through similar topics concerning my problem. I just want to be sure that I'm understanding correctly. Don't bite my head off please!

My Discovery was running fine until I ran my air conditioner one day. Now it is overheating. When I ran the air conditioner I noticed the coolant was leaking out so I turned it off. I suppose it all ran out and the next day my car overheated while driving. I added more coolant and it was fine for about 20 mins before it ran hot again.

I noticed when I put coolant in, it pumps out of the top and spills over. I'm not very saavy when it comes to repairing cars so I will be taking it to a mechanic, I just want to be semi knowledgeable so that no one will take me for all that I own just to fix this (if it's nothing major). Based on what I've read I'm thinking it's either the thermostat or the water pump.

Am I correct?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justwannaride
Based on what I've read I'm thinking it's either the thermostat or the water pump.

Am I correct?

If you're lucky. Very lucky.

If you have to drive it, crank the heat so it helps the engine stay cool. You can deal with it to save your engine, right?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audiS4S6
If you're lucky. Very lucky.

If you have to drive it, crank the heat so it helps the engine stay cool. You can deal with it to save your engine, right?

Ditto, "coolant was leaking out so I shut it off, overheating, it all ran out, I drove it the next day, it overheated again, I added fluid" ---those are all very scary subjective terms.

At best, needs some cooling system service, at worst there's no end...

You don't say if it's a DI or a DII, the coolant should be replaced every 30k miles according to LR.

let us know how it goes, please

luck,greg