Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Amigo Tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:22 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Amigo Tool

So I have been looking at the threads about an issue. Here is my story about a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II with 96,000 miles.

I have replaced 2 hubs in the past (left rear and right front). The mechanic that works on my Land Rover owns a shop in Portland. He is a Land Rover genius. One was bad and the other one was a speed sensor. A few months ago, the 3 Amigos come on with the addition of the brake light. The mechanic read the code as another speed sensor issue. I just replaced the right rear sensor yesterday and decided to change the front left speed sensor as well. My hubs were good and I wanted to save some money.

I had a different mechanic fix the speed sensors, turn the rear rotors, a right rear caliper and new brake pads. After he was finished, he hooked up the computer to remove the codes. The speed sensor code was gone, but now a code P1590 Rough Road Signal appears.

From doing research on here, it seems the ABS Amigo will take the codes away. The brake light is still on as well. Am I correct on this?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

Hi there, if i remember well, there is one of the amigo's stays on, and when you drive a few meters it's going out . Don't remember the P1590, but if the speed sensors are not correctly placed, possible that the P1590 comes along.
Check correct position, airgap,...
The ABS amigo takes the code away, only when the problem is fixed, otherwise when not fixed, you take the code away (reset) and after a few distance they will return !

Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Mudding

1590 is the code that usually accompanies ABS faults. I got that code along with the three amigos and brake light when I had a bad wheel speed sensor. Any OBD scanner should be able to clear the P1590 code because it is logged in the general fault code module and not the more specialized ABS module. Clear that code and see if it comes back.

On a side note, for some reason the wheel speed sensors prefer to have a dab of grease put on the business end before they are installed in order to function properly. I have never come up with a reason why, but most people who have replaced them can tell you that's the case.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Rover
So I have been looking at the threads about an issue. Here is my story about a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II with 96,000 miles.

I have replaced 2 hubs in the past (left rear and right front). The mechanic that works on my Land Rover owns a shop in Portland. He is a Land Rover genius. One was bad and the other one was a speed sensor. A few months ago, the 3 Amigos come on with the addition of the brake light. The mechanic read the code as another speed sensor issue. I just replaced the right rear sensor yesterday and decided to change the front left speed sensor as well. My hubs were good and I wanted to save some money.

I had a different mechanic fix the speed sensors, turn the rear rotors, a right rear caliper and new brake pads. After he was finished, he hooked up the computer to remove the codes. The speed sensor code was gone, but now a code P1590 Rough Road Signal appears.

From doing research on here, it seems the ABS Amigo will take the codes away. The brake light is still on as well. Am I correct on this?
First, I believe your mechanic is putting the screws to you, Rover hubs don't fail much at all. If it is the speed sensor, just replace the speed sensor only.
Second, Rover rotors are too thin to take 2 cuts when resurfacing them, you will land up with a very thin rotor that under hard playing will warp on you.
You would be far better off buying the 3 amigo scanner from RSWsolutions.com and do your own checking.
If the 1590 code won't clear, you still have an abs issue that has not been taken of.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:43 PM
5th Gear

That is why I had a different mechanic install the sensors only. He checked the other two hubs and were good to go. I learned that lesson after spending loads of money on the first two hubs. All the speed sensors have been replaced now. As I stated in the original posting, the codes were on because of the speed sensor. It was the right rear passenger side.

Mike, I have slotted rotors and the rotors were fine. The mechanic told me next time I would need to replace them.

The mechanic just bought a brand new scanner. Every time he cleared the codes, they would come back. You could be right about the speed sensors not correctly placed, but I sat there and watched him do the work.

One other suggestion was to take off the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds and place on the positive to reset the system. I am going to try that and see if that works. If not, I will need to diagnose some more.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Leave your dam battery alone, all you are doing is causing some of your computers to loose their adaptive memory, with no fix for the codes.
Get the exact fault code numbers and get back to us. You might also consider sending me your number so I can walk you thru what to look for.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First, I believe your mechanic is putting the screws to you, Rover hubs don't fail much at all. If it is the speed sensor, just replace the speed sensor only.
Second, Rover rotors are too thin to take 2 cuts when resurfacing them, you will land up with a very thin rotor that under hard playing will warp on you.
You would be far better off buying the 3 amigo scanner from RSWsolutions.com and do your own checking.
If the 1590 code won't clear, you still have an abs issue that has not been taken of.
Mike,

I found an old post from you about this issue. This probably is the case.

"1590 is a rough road/ABS fault that normally will also show up when the ABS is having problem with the lights coming on and off or on all the way.
It can be clear with a proper scanner and is not being caused by any other ABS part"

Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Leave your dam battery alone, all you are doing is causing some of your computers to loose their adaptive memory, with no fix for the codes.
Get the exact fault code numbers and get back to us. You might also consider sending me your number so I can walk you thru what to look for.
The code is P1590 as stated earlier. After he fixed the speed sensor, that particular code went away, but the P1590 code shows up now. This code showed up after replacing the 2 speed sensors, rear brakes, right rear caliper and turning the rear rotors. I don't think he had the right scanner to clear the codes.

I will not do the battery trick!

Last edited by Land Rover; 09-02-2013 at 05:56 PM.