Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS brakes engaging at 5 mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:05 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS brakes engaging at 5 mph

I've been experiencing a problem with my ABS. First off, I drive a 1997 Discovery I SD, automatic with 244,000 miles on it. I realize first off that any ABS issue at this mileage won't be unheard of. I replaced the front pads and rotors 60k miles ago and replaced the pads again about 10k miles ago. Brake lines were flushed 10k miles ago at pad change. I changed the rear pads and rotors 30k miles ago. My front pad are currently at 70% and the dealership said my rotors looked fine.

I had the drivers side CV joint replaced and passenger side serviced (inspected, lubed and repacked) 6k miles ago and was told by the tech at the dealership that my sensor was damaged on that caliper. He said it wouldn't be much of a problem if I didn't rely on ABS for sudden stops.

The problem is that my ABS light is on the majority of the time and when it is illuminated the ABS will only engage when I am coming to a stop at about 5 mph. This has led to some scary moments when pulling into a parking spot with a car in front of me or stopping at an intersection. If I pump the brake pedal when this happens, it goes away. Not a big deal as I've learned to deal with it.

However, since off-road season has begun, I am VERY hesitant to take it on trails since the dealer I spoke to told me that:

1. It may no longer be the sensor.
2. They cannot (or would not) deactivate the ABS.
3. The ABS does not disengage in low range.

Anyone have this problem? Is it true that the ABS system cannot be disengaged without affecting the braking system?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Jason

Old 07-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: ABS brakes engaging at 5 mph

Check, I have heard, on the late D1's that some have pulled the fuse the stop the problem, other wise it sounds like it is time for a sensor.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: ABS brakes engaging at 5 mph

OK, my '97 had the same problem, and just to clearify, ABS ONLY works when one or more of your wheels is skidding, so if you brake hard and the left side of the trk is on wet pavement and the right side is on dry pavement then the ABS will keep the wheels on the left side from skidding by pumping the brakes on those wheels faster than you could do.
Now for the fix, open the hood and in the fuse box is the fuse for the ABS, yank it out and save the fuse for later use.
Once you pull the fuse YOU WILL NOT HAVE ABS, EVER, until you get the problem fixed and then replace the fuse.
Your ABS light will always be on, and that is the longest lasting part in a Rover, that bulb will out last the rest of the trk.
If you pull the fuse it is your moral and legal obligation to tell anybody who drives it that the ABS does not work, and if you sell it you must replace the fuse and disclose of the ABS problem, assuming that you do not get it fixed.
I pulled my fuse after the second time of not being able to stop short because of the ABS, that was a year ago.