Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agressive and Quiet. looking for tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by achapman
Isn't 235 a little thin for the weight of the rover?
Tire width doesn't have anything to do with it's load capacity.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Tire width doesn't have anything to do with it's load capacity.
Yep, LT235/85R16 is a fairly common size on 1 ton pickups.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marshman442
I guess that explains why you cut the front bumper up... I just noticed you removed the front driving lights.
The only thing that needed to be trimmed with my 265/75's was the inner wheel well/splash guard piece on the passenger side. The tire would catch the edge on anything more than a 75% to full lock turn right or left. If you're wanting to try and squeeze in a slightly taller tire, I might suggest you consider some spacers up front to give you a little more room.

And actually I didn't have to cut the front bumper at all, I have a Saudi Spec bumper which is "pre trimmed" from the factory for better clearance on the sand dunes of the Middle East and such. I just pulled the other lower bumper trim pieces temporarily to remove the factory brush bar/lights to make way for a winch tray.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
The only thing that needed to be trimmed with my 265/75's was the inner wheel well/splash guard piece on the passenger side. The tire would catch the edge on anything more than a 75% to full lock turn right or left. If you're wanting to try and squeeze in a slightly taller tire, I might suggest you consider some spacers up front to give you a little more room.
The difference is about 1/4" to 3/8" if I do the conversion right. I assume with the 2" lift that little bit of a difference won't warrant going to a 3" lift - will it?

I have 16" rims that I can use, but my 18" rims are in better shape. It is about $200 more to run the 18" rime vs. the 16" rim.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by marshman442
The difference is about 1/4" to 3/8" if I do the conversion right. I assume with the 2" lift that little bit of a difference won't warrant going to a 3" lift - will it?

I have 16" rims that I can use, but my 18" rims are in better shape. It is about $200 more to run the 18" rime vs. the 16" rim.
I think you'd be fine with a 2" TF lift, they seem to give a slightly taller lift than the OME....from what I've gathered here. Just consider the spacers as an option.

As far as your rims go, I'd go with the 16's for the tire selection and then RATTLE CAN those thangs!...that's what I did! Rustoleum High Performance Wheel paint, then some clear coat.
Name:  DSC_0027-2.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  155.4 KB

Even did my Land Cruiser wheels rattle can style!
Name:  DSC_0020-2.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  183.5 KB

Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Piggy Back off the conversation I have a shot Steering stabalizer and am just going to overhaul the suspension in its entirety due to have 100K on it and feeling the sag. I am going with the OME medium and Nitro Charger shocks and want to run larger tires on the 18" rim, but am wondering what the largest i can go without rub? I don't want to go wider but taller as i like the more factory look of the slender tires.

Any help is appreciated

Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FightOnUSC79
To Piggy Back off the conversation I have a shot Steering stabalizer and am just going to overhaul the suspension in its entirety due to have 100K on it and feeling the sag. I am going with the OME medium and Nitro Charger shocks and want to run larger tires on the 18" rim, but am wondering what the largest i can go without rub? I don't want to go wider but taller as i like the more factory look of the slender tires.

Any help is appreciated
Please refer to my truck and sig. The 275/65/18 fills out the 2 inch lift pretty well. You could probably go up to 285/65/18 but you might need to trim some of the front bumper. Some here advise against 285/65/18 because of loss of power and the potential wear on the spider gears. But a few people have gone that big.

Safe bet and good look is 275.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
... Some here advise against 285/65/18 because of loss of power and the potential wear on the spider gears. ....
Do our Discos have double or quad spiders? My Rangie had only dual when
I bought it. Quads went in with the Tru-Trac locker within a month.

In any case, they mostly wear when you spin one tire, is my
understanding. If you avoid wheelspin, no wear to speak of. Now axle
shafts are another story. I've broken 3 LR brand shafts on my Rangie so
far, included their HD rear shaft. 2 of those were pretty ugly repairs as
they broke within the splines. I'm now running all Ashcroft shafts on
the Rangie.

So, back to tires, 33s are as big as I would recommend unless you do all
that good axle stuff like pinning the carrier, Ashcroft shafts and CVs, truss/gusset, etc.

Then again, you're very unlikely to break anything if you run huge tires but
stay on the road. My pov is rather warped by my 4x4 trials competition brain.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Please refer to my truck and sig. The 275/65/18 fills out the 2 inch lift pretty well. You could probably go up to 285/65/18 but you might need to trim some of the front bumper. Some here advise against 285/65/18 because of loss of power and the potential wear on the spider gears. But a few people have gone that big.

Safe bet and good look is 275.
Thanks for the info, I definitely do not want to trim anything if i do not have to, but need the extra clearance due to the last time i was out the pumpkin was the only part barely clearing the obstacles. I would go with stock replacement but it cost more in most cases than the OME.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by FightOnUSC79
Thanks for the info, I definitely do not want to trim anything if i do not have to, but need the extra clearance due to the last time i was out the pumpkin was the only part barely clearing the obstacles. I would go with stock replacement but it cost more in most cases than the OME.
The trimming you'd need to do for 265/75's is just on the inside of the wheel well, no body panels would need to be hacked.

You could also just spring for a diff guard???

Quick Reply: Agressive and Quiet. looking for tires.