Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 AM
mlw
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning

Can someone tell me where the air conditioning drip tubes are located? I hear some swishing in the dash and I think the drip tubes are clogged.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. The tubes come out of nipples in the transmission tunnel, can get clogged, more often drip on transmission XYZ selector switch and ruin it.

2. But we're not done yet... the noise you hear is bubbles in coolant making their way thru the heater core. A D2 circulates coolant 100% of the time the engine is running thru that core. Could be air, which you can purge from that little bleeder valve on the radiator hose.

That's if you have been a very good child this year. But if old Santa is bringing you a lump of coal, this might be head gaskets, which can leak exhaust gas into the coolant. PArt of that diagnosis will include:

Loss of coolant over time?

White smoke out exhaust for long periods after warm up?

Strange codes for check engine light?

Overheating? By overheat, I mean anything above 9:00 on the temp gauge, which is the Rover definition from the RAVE service manual (this is not Detroit iron).

There is a chemical test, about $50, you can buy at auto parts store, it tests for exhaust gas in the coolant. Head gasket reopair DIY is about $500, $1700 at an indy shop, you don't want to go to the dealer. The $500 includes $200 for machine shop work.

Here's a page from the RAVE shop manual that details the cooling flow. The whole manual set is also a free download below. Your condition is also called a waterfall.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow.PDF (202.9 KB, 71 views)