Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All 8 spark plugs arcing to the head

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 06:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Default All 8 spark plugs arcing to the head

I opened the hood while the truck was running in total darkness and saw that all 8 spark plugs were arcing to the heads. It wasn’t a fireworks show, my eye had to adjust for a few seconds before I could see it really well.

Anyway, the Champion plugs that I’ve always used are have less than 1k on them. The wires are 8mm and boots fully seated, I’ve forgotten I’d they are magnacores or not. I do remember they weren’t cheap. And as far as I know the coil packs are original, I haven’t changed them in my 10 year ownership. Given the condition of the truck when I bought it I seriously doubt the previous owner changed them.

Suggestions?

Old 06-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
I opened the hood while the truck was running in total darkness and saw that all 8 spark plugs were arcing to the heads. It wasn’t a fireworks show, my eye had to adjust for a few seconds before I could see it really well.

Anyway, the Champion plugs that I’ve always used are have less than 1k on them. The wires are 8mm and boots fully seated, I’ve forgotten I’d they are magnacores or not. I do remember they weren’t cheap. And as far as I know the coil packs are original, I haven’t changed them in my 10 year ownership. Given the condition of the truck when I bought it I seriously doubt the previous owner changed them.

Suggestions?
Put a light amount of di-electric grease around the spark plug wire boots. Not on the leads itself (should look up the proper application). This might be enough insulation to prevent the arcing. That's what I would try first.

The following users liked this post:
Banzai Jimmy (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 07:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

That's weird. Definitely waiting for the story to this... also do coil packs get replaced with age? I haven't replaced any of them. Ever.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Rock Auto had STI wire sets for 2.90 the other day for D1's (scored on that deal!). Rock Auto has D2 wire sets for like 25.00. If they're 10 years old you got your $$ out of them. The boots will eventually become either rock hard and extremely brittle or the leads will rip off whenever you try to remove them.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Rock Auto had STI wire sets for 2.90 the other day for D1's (scored on that deal!). Rock Auto has D2 wire sets for like 25.00. If they're 10 years old you got your $$ out of them. The boots will eventually become either rock hard and extremely brittle or the leads will rip off whenever you try to remove them.

The upon visual inspection the wires are good. Nothing brittle, connection inside the boot still bright free of corrosion .

Old 06-21-2019, 08:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by samroy92
Put a light amount of di-electric grease around the spark plug wire boots. Not on the leads itself (should look up the proper application). This might be enough insulation to prevent the arcing. That's what I would try first.
This is the easiest and cheapest first step. Most times this is from where the spark is coming. Only once have I had the plug itself be the problem.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Banzai Jimmy
This is the easiest and cheapest first step. Most times this is from where the spark is coming. Only once have I had the plug itself be the problem.
I’ll do that first for sure. I just want to be clear that the arcing is not from inside the boot to the head, the arcing is from the hex base.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:07 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
I’ll do that first for sure. I just want to be clear that the arcing is not from inside the boot to the head, the arcing is from the hex base.
Couple things, it seems unlikely it is the coil packs if all 8 plugs are behaving like this. (There are 2 coil packs, with independent electric inputs) Replacing them still might be a good idea though, whenever I replace the wires in a new disco I do the coil packs as well. Voltage from battery OK? Try swapping in an old/different spark plug in one socket and see if it also happens.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

And the rubber boot is tight on the insulator? That’s a wild one for sure!

Old 06-22-2019, 12:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 942 Likes on 633 Posts

Unless there's extreme corrosion on all of the threads which is near impossible, the spark is not coming from the he base. There is no difference in potential between there and the head; they are bonded together. That is the grounded portion of the spark plug.

I would suspect that it is indeed coming past the boot and only looks like it's coming from the base.

The following users liked this post:
Banzai Jimmy (06-24-2019)

Quick Reply: All 8 spark plugs arcing to the head