Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All 8 spark plugs arcing to the head

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Unless there's extreme corrosion on all of the threads which is near impossible, the spark is not coming from the he base. There is no difference in potential between there and the head; they are bonded together. That is the grounded portion of the spark plug.

I would suspect that it is indeed coming past the boot and only looks like it's coming from the base.
I mean, wtf? I was looking at it with my own eyeballs, dude. Jesus.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

It's not how electricity works, Frank. I'm not ragging on you. You said yourself it was hard to see, and you couldn't until your eyes had adjusted a few minutes. It's impossible for two pieces of metal that are bonded to one another to arc. If they're arcing then there is no bonding and you have bigger issues. The threads in the head would need to be chased to clear out the corrosion and you'd need new spark plugs.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It's not how electricity works, Frank. I'm not ragging on you. You said yourself it was hard to see, and you couldn't until your eyes had adjusted a few minutes. It's impossible for two pieces of metal that are bonded to one another to arc. If they're arcing then there is no bonding and you have bigger issues. The threads in the head would need to be chased to clear out the corrosion and you'd need new spark plugs.
SMH, every time with this guy. Every time. Thanks, professor.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Curious to know the cause of this...

Old 06-24-2019, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

@Alex_M has it right. If you were getting severe arcing on all plugs from the base of the plugs, there is something ****y going on. Electricity ALWAYS follows the path of least resistance. If the path of least resistance is above its grounding point(the threads in the head) something is going on to cause serious resistance there.

New plugs and wires would be my first step as well

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (06-26-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
@Alex_M has it right. If you were getting severe arcing on all plugs from the base of the plugs, there is something ****y going on. Electricity ALWAYS follows the path of least resistance. If the path of least resistance is above its grounding point(the threads in the head) something is going on to cause serious resistance there.

New plugs and wires would be my first step as well
Not severe. I’ll get to the bottom of it and if anyone wants to know how just PM me. I’d hate to find that my Land Rover has broken all the rules of the universe and have to explain that one.

later.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

Please make note that I gave an option for you to be correct without breaking the laws of physics. An option that does, albeit exceedingly rarely, occur. Not trying to make waves, Frankie. Just telling you from several years of professional electrical experience what your options are.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Please make note that I gave an option for you to be correct without breaking the laws of physics. An option that does, albeit exceedingly rarely, occur. Not trying to make waves, Frankie. Just telling you from several years of professional electrical experience what your options are.
Keep pounding that keypad, man. Keep pounding. Oh and Frankie? Nice touch. If you weren’t already tipping the annoying scale to 1000 you did it with that one. Believe me others are reading this and nodding. Mission accomplished, man. Well done.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:49 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
Keep pounding that keypad, man. Keep pounding. Oh and Frankie? Nice touch. If you weren’t already tipping the annoying scale to 1000 you did it with that one. Believe me others are reading this and nodding. Mission accomplished, man. Well done.
Actually, I'm reading this laughing at you. It's just a forum dude, Alex like all of us are just trying to help you diagnose an issue. You sound really young tbh, or maybe just a keyboard warrior?

-- my 2 cents

Old 06-25-2019, 06:12 AM
Drifting
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Frank, you've been around too long and have made too many good contributions to this forum for me to bestow the full dweeb title, but you're a little dweebish this time.

AlexM's diagnosis is correct. Think about it this way: when installed in the head, the base of the spark plus IS the head, electrically speaking. If there's arcing there, it means something is interfering with the electrical connection between the threads of the spark plug and the threads of the head. It's akin to a forum member reporting arcing between the battery post and the battery clamp. It would be truly stunning for a problem to develop on all eight cylinders to cause the symptoms you've described. Good luck, Frank.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dweeb Discovery:
Llamasayswhat (06-25-2019), shanechevelle (06-26-2019)

Quick Reply: All 8 spark plugs arcing to the head