Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Almost) Finished putting the DII back together again.... need some more help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Almost) Finished putting the DII back together again.... need some more help

Hey guys, well -- the DII we purchased is almost back together and complete again. Solved the 'no start' problem with a CPS sensor reset those studs were set on bottom not above. Anywho, we turn the key to the 'on' position - and 4 lights come up. The Gears with X in between them, followed by SRS, ABS, HDC, and TC. Arghhhh. The ABS modulator has been modified, or so it seems. We need to put brake fluid in her, so maybe that's part of the problem. The brake pedal goes to the floor.

Is the gear CEL light with x through them indicating the transfer case (has not) engaged high or low ? I realize there were also some random double connector wires on the side of the x-fer case, of which perhaps I reversed... Any advice, or pics of wires on transfer case would be great!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You are so lucky to have a D2. Look in the RAVE, electrical circuits diagrams. Find a sensor for the transfer case. Enlarge drawing - see those tiny numbers where wire joins the device? Write those down, then switch to the electrical library, connectors list, scroll down to that number and shazam! they have a color picture of the connector location on a Disco that is so clean it is obscene. In the owners manual - also part of the RAVE - you'll find warning light information. Don't want to download? There is another link in my signature to manuals on-line (no down of the entire giant manual set). Light you mention is T/C in "N", not high, not low. See atached for one of th connectors

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
c0683.pdf (41.5 KB, 294 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-26-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Go bleed your brake system using 2 quarts of DOT 4. You may find you must bleed the master cylinder prior to bleed the brakes, not sure how the system was that low on fluid though.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I have looked at the photos in the electrical library, and in the rave manual -- the connectors which have single pin connections are the ones I am confused on wondering if it matters since one of them has (2) black connectors so it's virtually impossible to know what (side) of the connector they are supposed to go on. The ones with harnesses seem to only go one way.

I'm going to have my uncle bleed the brake system today, and fill to see if that helps with the ABS light issue... also going to check for a disconnected wheel speed sensor, etc.. ya know, ya know.

Anywho , please elaborate - the warning light (2 gears with X through it) is the indicator for traction control failure, or for transfer case being in neutral? I also have a TC light lit up with I think a cross through it indicating TC isn't working when key is in on position. Also thought that this light (gears) came on when the xfer case was in neutral if I remember correctly.

Also linkage to the high low gear selection appears loose, popped out on me at one point so that's why I am leaning towards xfer case being in neutral. Perhaps I am wrong, i'll probably go out there and take another look today but any suggestions would be great

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gears with the X through it usually indicate that the transfer case is in neutral. When it is in neutral and or not engaged properly in hi or lo range, it usually beeps and the light flashes. If the light remains on constantly with no beep, then it might be another issue. In most cases the engine needs to be running for you to re-engage the transfer case from neutral.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

This may illuminate the situation, the magic decoder section from the owner's manual.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 warning lights.pdf (122.7 KB, 589 views)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Overlanding

Wow, awesome info. Thanks guys!!