Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I doing this right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I doing this right?

Hello,

94 Disco 98K

I'm doing the water pump and want to completely drain my coolant before adding new stuff (Zerex G05). I'm going to let gravity drain most of it, then pour distilled water into the upper hose until clear water runs out the bottom hose. Then I was going to add 70% coolant until its mostly filled. Then check the specific gravity and adjust as needed until its 50/50. This s is all basically because I'm not sure how much water I'm going to use to drain out the stuff that's there now. Also, any thoughts on Zerex?

Thanks,

RM

Old 01-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Am I doing this right?

if your worried about the concentration, you can do 50/50 mix in a bucket and just use a funnel if that is what you are asking. You could let the entire system open up on water and then drain it again if thats what you are after? I don't think you can mess it up real bad no matter what. I did the water pump in my defender not too long ago and put a container of antifreeze in it and filled the rest with water and squeezed the hose until the air was gone. Its not worth over thinking IMHO

Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RamblingMan

Hello,

94 Disco 98K

I'm doing the water pump and want to completely drain my coolant before adding new stuff (Zerex G05). I'm going to let gravity drain most of it, then pour distilled water into the upper hose until clear water runs out the bottom hose. Then I was going to add 70% coolant until its mostly filled. Then check the specific gravity and adjust as needed until its 50/50. This s is all basically because I'm not sure how much water I'm going to use to drain out the stuff that's there now. Also, any thoughts on Zerex?

Thanks,

RM

Firstly.. I would just use a good Ethelene Glycol coolant.. and would not use any OAT type Coolant in your DI.

Secondly..

You need to drain the coolant by loosening your lower radiator hose, then watch as most of it goes on the driveway after spashing on your framerail, and a small portion of it goes into the pan you set under the Truck.

While you are doing this Relpace the Thermostat.

Then re attach the lower hose and fill with water.. then leave the Fill Plug and the Resevoir Plug off and Idle the car for 15-20 minutes, letting it come up to temperature, with the Heater Blasted on HIGH thereby opening the thermostat and purging any air in the system pouring more water in the radiator as it gurgles up and spills out of the Radiator.

Let the engine cool, Repeat the Draining process, spilling more water on you driveway helping to wash the Green stuff down the drive.

Then repeat the purging process, this time using premix 50/50 coolant. Letting the vehicle come up to temperature keeping the heater on high.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced the green coolant in my Jeep and old diesel Mercedes with Xerex G-05. From what I've read it's great stuff. It's a hybird OAT and combines the best of both organic and inorganic technologies. I wanted to use it for my Disco II, but I have OAT in there and I wanted to play it safe with what is recommended. PANCHO, I bought a cheap inflatable kiddie pool to put under the truck when I drain the coolant, it works great and is easy to dump onto the neighbors lawn when you're done(just kidding!, a bucket for proper disposal). I just pour in 1/2 a gallon of antifreeze, then 1/2 of water and repeat until it's full.

Here's a nice Zerex application chart you can download: http://www.valvoline.com/zerex/automaker.asp