Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another crazy idea: A-Frame HD winch bumper fab

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Popcorn please (no butter)

Old 05-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Triar, my .02 is to wait until you actually get the bumper, then check if it'll fit and look good. Its a good idea, but there is no way to tell if it will work well or look good until you actually have the bumper. Start a new thread when you do get it though.

Dane.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane!
The Pirate flame wars are better.
The land rover section is more tame than most I think, but on occasion you get some good stuff. Like the guy arguing that his full size pickup was better off road than a disco because it had IFS. Then when everyone flamed him into reality he spent $4000 or so on bolt ons for his disco and complained about how he still had to drive it intelligently. He was shocked that he couldn't just point it at any pile of dirt and idle over it.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The general tech is where its all at, everyone from every different vehicle make comes together and effectively slanders the rival car manufactures.

Independent suspension sucks in all applications except for high speed, boo Land Rover for switching to it... Although, Jeep Wranglers are switching to it in 2016, so, I guess they are just behind on the tech, as usual. They did steal the Land Rover traction control and named it something else, also, oh well. I guess its just the looks of the cars now that matters, and the LR's don't even have that going for them anymore.

Last edited by Dane!; 05-09-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I lightly wheeled the LR3 for the first time a couple of weekends ago.

I think the cross linked air suspension does help to cancel out some of the disadvantages of independent suspension.

I wonder what jeep is going to do if they are adding it?

Old 05-09-2014, 07:22 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I lightly wheeled the LR3 for the first time a couple of weekends ago.

I think the cross linked air suspension does help to cancel out some of the disadvantages of independent suspension.

I wonder what jeep is going to do if they are adding it?
The new Jeep Grand Cherokee has a build very simular to the LR3 when it first launched. ZF transmission, air suspension with a couple different height modes, optional Quadra-Trac II which has braked-based slip control and a Selec-Terrain traction management system that can send up to 100 percent of the torque to the front or rear axle, they even added a Selec-Terrain **** with 5 traction settings: Sand, Mud, Snow, Rock and Auto. Not to mention hill descent control. But they did add a limited slip diff so least we can say they did not steal that from LR.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee First Drive on Edmunds.com

as for bumpers and the a-frame, i just need some insight. I was hoping somebody else on here may have tried the proposal I made at the top but oh well. I wont be able to buy the HD bumper for couple months but I like to get ideas from the community and see what other members think about it. Part of the reason I like a-frame bumpers so much is this:

Name:  2024119407_zpsb240ea58.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  125.3 KB

I think this design looks sexy as hell. Its modern, aggressive and clean plus you can still add driving lamps. These bars were designed for impact so seems to me that they would do well for off-road use on a Rover. Wish they made them for our trucks. Next best thing is slapping my afram on a HD bumper and calling it good.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Get a custom bumper made a local fab shop. A plate steel bumper made of 3/16" steel so it can take a hit, then add that thing on it. They CAN replicate the TF bumper, it would probably cost just as much.

Triar, were talking wrangler or the YJ, the last solid axle off road suv in the states. They want to (in 2016/17) ditch the solid axles in order to save weight for better Mpgs while retaining the ladder frame. I say, ditch the ladder frame and keep the axles. The solid axle jeep unibody Cherokees did fine with it.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Some people spend their last few dollars on Cigarettes and Alcohol, and some spend it on their Rovers. I'm in the later group.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Some people spend their last few dollars on Cigarettes and Alcohol, and some spend it on their Rovers. I'm in the later group.
I spend disposable income on Rovers. My last few dollars would go towards food and shelter.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:55 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

My D1 was my shelter during tough times, sucked that the PO ripped out the headliner, was pretty cold. But that justified spending my last dollar on parts and gas for the truck.

Quick Reply: another crazy idea: A-Frame HD winch bumper fab