Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another crazy idea: A-Frame HD winch bumper fab

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Being homeless or living out of a car is no joke
I don't believe anyone was joking or making fun of you having to live in your car.

Honestly some of these tough comments are designed to help.

I've never been homeless, but I did grow up very poor.

When I got my first pretty steady part-time job, while in school, I went out and bought a 1986 Jeep Cherokee at a tote-the-note car lot. I thought it looked good and it had 4 doors so I could drive my friends around, and it was 4x4! It was also the biggest turd I've ever owned, and it had the least reliable engine ever.... The GM 2.8L V6. I couldn't work on it. It was too much for my brain to grasp all at once.

So I sold it and bought a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger. V8, simple carter 2bbl carb, no emissions equipment. It was a great car. Easier to work on and simple enough to learn how everything worked.

Eventually I wanted creature comforts like air conditioning and cruise control for road trips. So I bought a 1986 Honda Accord. Extremely reliable. Great fuel economy. But it was like the space shuttle compared to the dodge dart. Since it was so reliable, I never really had to do much to it. I was able to save a little money instead of spending it on my car. One day I was having the a/c charged or something and I asked the guy at the shop someone about the car. He walked over to the bookshelf and pulled out the factory service manual. I was amazed. It was a 500 page book just on the 1986 Honda Accord. I bought one. It was easy to follow and all of the suddenly this super complex fuel injected car became simple. I was able to save even more money by working in this car myself, for the few things it needed.

As the years went on I was able to trade up to nicer and nicer cars, and I almost always learned how to work on them.

It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I started buying rovers. I just wouldn't have been able to afford them. When I got my first D1, I paid $1200, and I was able to keep my Honda Accord. I've since learned a fair bit about rovers and I'm ok having a rover as my daily driver. But I've also got more than one car to drive, and I've got a job that pays me well enough that I can drop a broken rover off at a garage if I have to get it fixed ASAP or if it is a job I just don't want to do.

When people say you need a cheaper car, they aren't making fun of how much money you have. They are trying to help. And a front wheel drive Japanese car will do pretty well in the snow. I had a Honda accord or acura legend in the winter in Idaho. And while they don't get as much snow as they do back east, the tiny town I was in never plowed the roads with the blade closer than 3" to the ground. So it was an ice skating rink all winter long.

I also would sleep in the car when driving the 1500 miles from "home" to college. Would I have rather had a disco in that kind of weather or when I needed to sleep? Sure. But the Honda got twice the gas mileage and I was never worried that the car might break down or run out of gas in Wyoming 100 miles from the nearest gas station.

Find a rusted out 1997 Honda accord for $800 and drive it for as long as you need. Then when it's time to get back into an expensive rover hobby, you'll have something to drive as a back up if you need to replace the engine or something.

Live within your means, and you'll find it a lot easier to progress financially. Every so often I get tempted to go out and buy a new car or a used car that I cannot afford to pay cash for. And then I remember how nice and FREE I feel without a car payment. As much as I'd like a ranger rover sport or diesel pickup to tow my defender around, I'm usually successful in stopping myself from being reckless.

This is just my opinion, and I don't want you to think I'm trying to talk down to you. Your car doesn't define you. My dodge dart was ugly, but I made the most of the experience driving at as any 17 year old could.

Here is the sticker I put on the window for laughs:

another crazy idea: A-Frame HD winch bumper fab-image-1500088884.jpg

Old 05-10-2014, 06:31 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Jafir, this 20 something kid doesn't want advice.

Look, we've all wanted thinks that were out of our reach at various times in our lives. I'm sorry but anyone who, out of one side of his mouth tells tales of being homeless and living out of their vehicle while at the same time bragging about owning an expensive European vehicle, is truly living without a clue. We're talking about someone who defines his very personhood by the vehicle he drives. I've seldom, in my fifty some odd years, heard a more pathetic assertion.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:43 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I don't believe anyone was joking or making fun of you having to live in your car.

Honestly some of these tough comments are designed to help.

I've never been homeless, but I did grow up very poor.

When I got my first pretty steady part-time job, while in school, I went out and bought a 1986 Jeep Cherokee at a tote-the-note car lot. I thought it looked good and it had 4 doors so I could drive my friends around, and it was 4x4! It was also the biggest turd I've ever owned, and it had the least reliable engine ever.... The GM 2.8L V6. I couldn't work on it. It was too much for my brain to grasp all at once.

So I sold it and bought a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger. V8, simple carter 2bbl carb, no emissions equipment. It was a great car. Easier to work on and simple enough to learn how everything worked.

Eventually I wanted creature comforts like air conditioning and cruise control for road trips. So I bought a 1986 Honda Accord. Extremely reliable. Great fuel economy. But it was like the space shuttle compared to the dodge dart. Since it was so reliable, I never really had to do much to it. I was able to save a little money instead of spending it on my car. One day I was having the a/c charged or something and I asked the guy at the shop someone about the car. He walked over to the bookshelf and pulled out the factory service manual. I was amazed. It was a 500 page book just on the 1986 Honda Accord. I bought one. It was easy to follow and all of the suddenly this super complex fuel injected car became simple. I was able to save even more money by working in this car myself, for the few things it needed.

As the years went on I was able to trade up to nicer and nicer cars, and I almost always learned how to work on them.

It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I started buying rovers. I just wouldn't have been able to afford them. When I got my first D1, I paid $1200, and I was able to keep my Honda Accord. I've since learned a fair bit about rovers and I'm ok having a rover as my daily driver. But I've also got more than one car to drive, and I've got a job that pays me well enough that I can drop a broken rover off at a garage if I have to get it fixed ASAP or if it is a job I just don't want to do.

When people say you need a cheaper car, they aren't making fun of how much money you have. They are trying to help. And a front wheel drive Japanese car will do pretty well in the snow. I had a Honda accord or acura legend in the winter in Idaho. And while they don't get as much snow as they do back east, the tiny town I was in never plowed the roads with the blade closer than 3" to the ground. So it was an ice skating rink all winter long.

I also would sleep in the car when driving the 1500 miles from "home" to college. Would I have rather had a disco in that kind of weather or when I needed to sleep? Sure. But the Honda got twice the gas mileage and I was never worried that the car might break down or run out of gas in Wyoming 100 miles from the nearest gas station.

Find a rusted out 1997 Honda accord for $800 and drive it for as long as you need. Then when it's time to get back into an expensive rover hobby, you'll have something to drive as a back up if you need to replace the engine or something.

Live within your means, and you'll find it a lot easier to progress financially. Every so often I get tempted to go out and buy a new car or a used car that I cannot afford to pay cash for. And then I remember how nice and FREE I feel without a car payment. As much as I'd like a ranger rover sport or diesel pickup to tow my defender around, I'm usually successful in stopping myself from being reckless.

This is just my opinion, and I don't want you to think I'm trying to talk down to you. Your car doesn't define you. My dodge dart was ugly, but I made the most of the experience driving at as any 17 year old could.

Here is the sticker I put on the window for laughs:

Attachment 21005

Thank you and I do get what you guys are saying. For clarification I do not live in my truck nor am I homeless. Last time I had to live in a vehicle was 2011? and the times before that were right after high school, long before I ever knew anything about a Land Rover. As of late my truck has been relatively trouble free. I did upgrade the brakes and rear calipers as they needed to be done but I only paid what $250 for the kit so it was not to bad. I recently relocated to southern NH with a girl and we just needed extra money to cover the down payment for the apartment and **** like that. Cost of living is not the cheapest in this area. I'm not dirt poor per say so its not like Im struggling to salvage a penny. I only took out the loan so I could get the apartment and get caught up with a couple other bills that were due, was not intended for my Rover. So I get a bit irritated when people assume that Im sinking a ton of $$$$$ into my truck and that its leaving my dry because in reality this truck is probably the most reliable vehicle Ive ever owned - knock on wood though..... When I first purchased the truck it needed new pads but I was broke at the time so I held off and consequently they got to thin and the front caliper burst. Had to replace the caliper and all the rotors/pads. Since then there have only been a couple things here and there that have actually failed. The crankshaft position sensor, the brake light switch, one rear caliper, a couple exterior bulbs, the tie rod and one of the plastic coolant tubes near the air box which I broke accidentily while I was fitting the air box. Everything else that I replaced I did in advance so I would not have to deal with it later (the front driveshaft for example). Ever since I replaced the thermostat my engine temps have dropped and the engine tick vanished. At one point I had a very good seasonal job out of state and I made enough money that I could afford to invest in all the parts Ive purchased for my truck. But when Im tight for money I focus on the important **** like bills and food and only work on the Rover when it really needs something.

In the past before the Rover days I owned a couple other cars. My first car was a 97 Mercury Grand Marquis. Very large car with sailboat like suspension. Loved it and lots of room. Had a V8 and had horrible gas mileage though. That was also my first experience living in a car. Lost a job and refused to collect welfare or go to a homeless shelter so I decided to live out of a car through the winter. Learned alot. Then one day the transmission **** the bed... Next in line was a older Jeep Grand Cherokee. Purchased it from a scum used car dealer, and i drove it off the lot with a fresh inspection sticker and an emplty tank of gas. By the time I made it home (2 hour drive) I realized that I had a fuel leak so I brought it to VIP for a second inspection and they failed it because there was a hole in the gas tank. Then shortly after the brake master cylinder **** the bed. Tires were bad and one day after changing the oil ..... all the oil decided to come back out. Some seal broke and the oil leaked out. Sold that and with it my home so I moved in with a cousin. Then I found my first Rover. It was a POS and completly neglected by PO. Headliner was removed, air filter was black and kaked with oil, all the dash lights were on and the rear driveshaft was bad and a leak in the fuel line. Why did I buy it? Because I loved how a lifted D1 looked and it was like nothing else I ever saw before. Ended becoming my home for a winter to while I was between jobs. After maybe half a year and spending $$$ on repairs the steering column broke and she had to be towed home. I decided to try and sell any parts that I thought may have been good, so I could get some money back and buy another vehicle. Next in line was a nice Saab 9-5 wagon. Found it on CL and the owner let me make payments on it via a lien ownership contract. I honored the contract and paid it off. The car had a couple elctrical problems with the NSS switch and I soon realized that buying parts for a discontinued car was difficult in part because there are not many vendors who make the parts anymore. The one part I needed was not available on any websites or stores and the listing price was $400! Then one day I found a 04 D2 on CL that was just a couple hours north and again the owners were willing to work out a deal with me and I ended up making payments on the truck. Paid it off and the rest is history. So compared to anything else Ive ever owned my current truck has been the most reliable and the most well cared for by PO's. Thats why I take so much pride in the truck despite it not having all the little gadgets on board that Id like to have (ACE, black exterior paint, backup sensors).

Ive had a couple rough spots in my life but the last few years have improved and the last time I loved out of a car was in 2011 so Im greatful and Ive learned much along the way. I come from a low income background (obviously) and sometimes the only thing that keeps me sane and waking up each day for work is the dream of all the fun things I want to do or add to my Disco. I dont smoke, drink or do drugs so theres a load of $$$$$ savings right there. Im not a bad guy and Im certainly not a scam or a fraud.

I come to this forum because I really like the people here ALOT, like the stories I read, I like the useful information I find here and I like all the debates we all have. I also enjoy seeing other members ideas and mods. So naturally i like to add in my own opinions and ideas. I figure some of you have owned Rovers for years and who better to ask for tips, advice and insight then you guys? Certainly cant walk into a autoparts store and start a Rover conversation with the employees. Most shops around here have a bad attitude towards Land Rovers in general. I dont trust most shops around here to work on my truck so I buy the tools and try and learn the mechanical aspects myself. If I cant figure out something or I **** up then I come to you people for help.

Im not here to cause trouble with anyone and theres really no sense in fighting. We are all connected here in one fashion or another. I can respect your views and opinions but try to respect mine. I have chosen to indulge in the world of Land Rovers and Ive chosen to own a D2. Id like to own a LR3 as well and one day a Defender but those are things that I cannot afford to do right now.... Id also like to build up my truck for some upcoming Rover events but money is really tight right now. I took out a loan and I failed to read the many pages of fine print before sighing the sheets and now Im paying for it big time. Ill buy a bumper later this year, maybe in 4 or 5 months but my priority is food, bills, gas and the loan. Just needed to get my mind off the current dilemma im in.

You guys really do not do a good job of deterring people from becoming fascinated with these vehicles......

Old 05-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Jafir, this 20 something kid doesn't want advice.

Look, we've all wanted thinks that were out of our reach at various times in our lives. I'm sorry but anyone who, out of one side of his mouth tells tales of being homeless and living out of their vehicle while at the same time bragging about owning an expensive European vehicle, is truly living without a clue. We're talking about someone who defines his very personhood by the vehicle he drives. I've seldom, in my fifty some odd years, heard a more pathetic assertion.

That's enough, we understand your dislike for him. No more need for public slander. It's his decision to make whether you think its right or wrong. You keep living yours and he'll keep living his.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Quote: "the last time I loved out of a car was in 2011. I dont smoke, drink or do drugs so theres a load of $$$$$ savings right there. "

Gotta live a little, man.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote: "the last time I lived out of a car was in 2011. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, so there's a load of $$$$$ savings right there. "

^^^ I have enjoyed the read, but I think I have found the money problem here.

Quote: "I recently relocated to southern NH with a girl"

And there you go! Just messing with you! ROVER ON!

BTW, I make pretty decent money, what ever that is, but still cannot find the cash to buy a classic Defender or older Rangie, so there you go, and I am north of age 50 a couple years. But, I do have two less than making it on their own adult boys probably close to your age and some grand kids. ALL seem to have needs that tend to end up at my doorstep

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 05-10-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
Quote: "the last time I lived out of a car was in 2011. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, so there's a load of $$$$$ savings right there. "

^^^ I have enjoyed the read, but I think I have found the money problem here.

Quote: "I recently relocated to southern NH with a girl"

And there you go! Just messing with you! ROVER ON!

BTW, I make pretty decent money, what ever that is, but still cannot find the cash to buy a classic Defender or older Rangie, so there you go, and I am north of age 50 a couple years. But, I do have two less than making it on their own adult boys probably close to your age and some grand kids. ALL seem to have needs that tend to end up at my doorstep
haha yeah I suppose girls can be high maintenance and worth top dollar Mines not bad though, shes not the materialistic type and money is not everything to her

yeah thats part of being the "family guy" right? haha and as for the Range Rover, are you referring to RR Classic? I can understand why most people in the US probably cannot afford to buy a Defender as the retail price has shot through the roof, but I see RR classics for sale on CL all the time. If your referring to the newer generations after the P38 then check out these trucks which are being sold for less than $10k. Ones got a horrible pink paint job and the other has high miles...

2004 RANGE ROVER --FULLY CUSTOM--86000 MILES

2003 Land Rover Range Rover!

2005 Range Rover HSE

and a cheap LR3 SE
2005 Land Rover LR3 SE (PRICE REDUCED!!!)

Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Chris, I think we need to get in on this title loan scam. Think about it. I could have sold this kid the ACE system he wanted to put on layaway by offering a title loan. If he missed a payment I could have wound up with his Rover and perhaps we could have avoided a few of these whiny threads.
You could have solved multiple problems with little effort. You get the truck, he loses a headache, he buys a Honda, land rover forums has one less whiner.

You sir are a genius.

And I got a jab in.