Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another slipped liner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Chris, RoverMasterTech, was able to pin my slipped liner from the outside (2 Cylinders) and he did a beautiful job. He used 2 giant bolts on each cylinder. My regular Land Rover mechanic said they look like they will last the life of the truck. So far it’s been about 1,000 miles and working beautifully. So far not one drop coolant used. The ‘03 Land Rover V8 was never that balanced and smooth, but at least I can use the drive thru and underground parking now. It was basically a jackhammer before, mine slipped liner was particularly bad and started at 140 degrees. Chris figures the engine itself still has a lot of life left. I love this truck and the retro styling.

Thanks everyone, especially RoverMasterTech.

2003 Disco II S (87,000 miles).

sorry, meant to post this on the other thread I started but I guess this is just as relevant here.
I’d like more info on this pinning of the cylinders. My truck is much like yours runs great, idles smooth, etc. just that annoying tick,tick,tick.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I’d like more info on this pinning of the cylinders.
Saw a good post or article with photos a few/many moons ago. Found by doing a site or goggle search.

Last edited by number9; 10-08-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:32 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Chris, RoverMasterTech, was able to pin my slipped liner from the outside (2 Cylinders) and he did a beautiful job. He used 2 giant bolts on each cylinder. My regular Land Rover mechanic said they look like they will last the life of the truck. So far it’s been about 1,000 miles and working beautifully. So far not one drop coolant used. The ‘03 Land Rover V8 was never that balanced and smooth, but at least I can use the drive thru and underground parking now. It was basically a jackhammer before, mine slipped liner was particularly bad and started at 140 degrees. Chris figures the engine itself still has a lot of life left. I love this truck and the retro styling.

Thanks everyone, especially RoverMasterTech.

2003 Disco II S (87,000 miles).

sorry, meant to post this on the other thread I started but I guess this is just as relevant here.

I'de just like to point out that a LR MT did this...and it worked. That should confirm any doubts.

I would like some details please.
How did he determine which sleeves to pin? Did he pull the heads and look? Or was he able to see with the oil pan off?
Thanks, and congrats on it being fixed.
Maybe he would give us some tips on doing this?
I am pretty sure this is in my near future.

Last edited by Sixpack577; 10-08-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:15 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi Sixpack, I clearly recollect the article/posting of RoverMasterTech on here. It should be around in the search archive. I believe he pinned all of the liners with a weld on each but I may be wrong. I believe he removed the engine to achieve the welding but again I may be wrong. I think it was a customer project for him. Try searching for RoverMasterTech in the search facility.

PS; this may be the thread:-

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...r-motor-74741/

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 10-09-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:16 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi Sixpack, I clearly recollect the article/posting of RoverMasterTech on here. It should be around in the search archive. I believe he pinned all of the liners with a weld on each but I may be wrong. I believe he removed the engine to achieve the welding but again I may be wrong. I think it was a customer project for him. Try searching for RoverMasterTech in the search facility.

PS; this may be the thread:-

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...r-motor-74741/

Thanks, but there is no info in that thread, other than he did it.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by number9
Saw a good post or article with photos a few/many moons ago. Found by doing a site or goggle search.
Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Thanks, but there is no info in that thread, other than he did it.
Google search for lr d2 pin cylinder liners first item....comes back to LRF.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ictures-56419/

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:40 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by number9
Google search for lr d2 pin cylinder liners first item....comes back to LRF.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ictures-56419/
Thank you sir!
I tried opening/down loading that several times, and it kept saying the file was corrupted.
Now it works!
And now to plan on doing this with the engine in or out.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Thank you sir!
I tried opening/down loading that several times, and it kept saying the file was corrupted.
Now it works!
And now to plan on doing this with the engine in or out.
cant find the link but it was documented how it was done. No need to remove the engine and done below. Check out rover master tech's post history under his statistics you might be able to find the full story

Sixpack577 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:57 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
cant find the link but it was documented how it was done. No need to remove the engine and done below. Check out rover master tech's post history under his statistics you might be able to find the full story
Problem with pinning sleeves with the engine in is the motor mounts, they are in the way.
So, I need to know how stable the engine is in the truck with one mount removed at a time.
Even suspended by an engine hoist/cherry picker, that's still basically just a jack, and it can fail.
If the engine will sit ok with one mount removed(which I hope and think it will), then the only hard part should be making sure holes are drilled straight.
I need to start a new thead asking about the stability of the engine in the truck with one mount removed at a time. For anyone who has removed or replaced either for any reason.
Thanks

Billfromthehill (03-28-2019)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench

Just as when working beneath a vehicle you shore it up in a unobtrusive and safe manor rather than trusting a $0.25 hydraulic seal.

Quick Reply: Another slipped liner?