Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-lock light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Anti-lock light

My anti-lock light came on the other day after some numb-skull turned in front of me and I had to lock it up. I couldn't remember if this was normal or not and the brakes were still working fine so I pressed on with my errand. I had it turned off while I picked up the kids and it went out after starting again and rolling over 5-7MPH. Later when I went to work it came on again while I was braking lightly coming up to a stop sign. Cycled it and it went out. Last night I was going to work and the pedal would shudder like it's supposed to when anti-lock is doing it's thing and the light came on again, but I was on dry pavement. Pulled the ABS fuse to drive it home so I would have brakes. Now I'm pissed because about 3 weeks ago I replaced brake discs and pads all the way around, cleaned everything real good and did a thorough inspection and didn't find anything wrong. The only other thing I have worked on is trying to figure out why my cruise doesn't work. So I wracking my brain trying to figure out what to do next because it's one of the most exspensive systems on the planet to repair and I'm watching my spending like everyone else in the world today. Then it hits me, I did a vacum test on the hoses and diaphram the other day. I check and sure enough I left one of the hoses off that goes to the brake/cruise system. Morale of the story: "Last thing f***** with is the first thing thats bad"!! Reference: (jbriggs USAF circa 1985)

Old 05-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your ABS sensors may need to be reset, (they might be pushed back due to loose hubs)

Follow the sensor line to the hubs, the rubber bushing that the line passes thru' needs to be pushed in as far as it will go (I don't think it will bottom out, tho').

I use an adjustable wrench opened to clear the wire.

I tapped it in with a rubber mallet

This bottoms the sensor, driving will automatically clearance it.

That's all it was in my case, very common

It's in the rave manual, below in my sig.

luck,greg

Old 06-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by greg409
Your ABS sensors may need to be reset, (they might be pushed back due to loose hubs)

Follow the sensor line to the hubs, the rubber bushing that the line passes thru' needs to be pushed in as far as it will go (I don't think it will bottom out, tho').

I use an adjustable wrench opened to clear the wire.

I tapped it in with a rubber mallet

This bottoms the sensor, driving will automatically clearance it.

That's all it was in my case, very common

It's in the rave manual, below in my sig.

luck,greg
I tried it and it didn't work. Did you loosen the two bolts that hold the sensors in place first? It looks like a plate that holds the sensor there.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Open hood.
On the passenger fender is a fuse box.
Open the fuse box.
Find the 30 amp ABS pump fuse.
Remove fuse.
Close fuse box.
Close hood.
ABS light stays on.
You no longer have ABS but the brakes will work just fine.

Your cruise not working has nothing to do with the ABS.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbriggs
I tried it and it didn't work. Did you loosen the two bolts that hold the sensors in place first? It looks like a plate that holds the sensor there.
There are no bolts holding the sensor in. Them 2-17mm bolts are the upper swivel pin. The sensor is a press fit that can be removed independently.

By the way the ABS was cycling on dry pavement, sounds like a pump/modulator fault.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by kenk
There are no bolts holding the sensor in. Them 2-17mm bolts are the upper swivel pin. The sensor is a press fit that can be removed independently.

By the way the ABS was cycling on dry pavement, sounds like a pump/modulator fault.
Yeah thats what I think too. It happened right after I did the front brakes so I thought that might be it. I'm going to try to bleed the brakes again because if the pump/modulator/valve is full of air it might di it also. I had my 7 year old pumping and holding the brakes and he did a great job but I'm not sure if he was strong enough to get it down all the way. I pulled the fuse as soon as it happened and have brakes now but no anti-lock. I'm getting ready to trade this in or sell and get a new vehicle so I need to fix the anti-lock problem.