Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thoughts on how to remove this bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't. just buy a new driveshaft, it's easier trust me. I had a GBR front shaft and tried to rebuild it and I broke broke the flange. I ordered a new one and broke that one too. I would have tried again but I had a ride to go on so I got a new Tom woods shaft (lol).

There's a special tool that pulls them out is the professional answer. A tool I'm the proud owner of now....

Old 06-01-2016, 10:26 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco deuce
You don't. just buy a new driveshaft, it's easier trust me. I had a GBR front shaft and tried to rebuild it and I broke broke the flange. I ordered a new one and broke that one too. I would have tried again but I had a ride to go on so I got a new Tom woods shaft (lol).

There's a special tool that pulls them out is the professional answer. A tool I'm the proud owner of now....

Im not sure how long the life expectancy is for the centering ball on any particular drive shaft but I imagine you can save alot of $$$ by just rebuilding the shaft when it is needed rather than replacing the assembly every time the centering ball wears out. A new Tom Woods multiple cardan drive shaft cost $600. Centering ball kit plus u-joints cost less than $100. However without the proper knowledge and proper tools you will likely run into problems while replacing the centering ball. Most notably is the damage that will be caused to the housing while removing the old ball and ring as seen above.

What is this special tool you are referring to? Does it easily remove both the ball and the ring? Im my opinion the ball is easy to remove and easy to replace, its that dam ring thats a bitch.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
What is this special tool you are referring to? Does it easily remove both the ball and the ring? Im my opinion the ball is easy to remove and easy to replace, its that dam ring thats a bitch.
The answer:

Originally Posted by acamato
I used a slide hammer and an inner race puller. I was able to get them as a loner from Pepboys. The inner race puller screws on the the end of the slide hammer.

https://www.pepboys.com/parts/tools/

5 Lb. Slide Hammer
view tool 27033

Pilot Bearing Puller Attachment
view tool 27059

I agree the ball is the easy part.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:30 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
The answer:

I agree the ball is the easy part.

Thanks for the useful links. I will be adding both parts to my tool collection in the near future.