Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips for radiator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any tips for radiator replacement

Well my radiator is leaking on the bottom when it cools off (contraction). So I need to order a new one and get out the RAVE. Any tips or difficulties anyone can offer that has done this already? Many thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Easy enough. Don't screw the top two screws on either side in too far. If you haven't ordered, I like Nissens

Old 04-30-2015, 07:37 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

This is how I would do it.

- Remove front grill.
- Remove both horns(13mm nut).
- Peel back top of foam behind horns just enough to expose rad bracket bolts, Remove brackets.
- Locate lower brackets that connect to AC condenser.
- Remove the bolts on these brackets at the front of the condenser- one on left is high hidden.
- Remove these brackets.
- Label brackets as to side and upper or lower.
- Now rad is loose.
- Wiggle to the best position to remove quick disconnects for trans and oil cooler(Oil cooler is on 99-02). They can seem impossible, pull back collar and twist connector off.

Once free, remove rad and coolers. Remove coolers and replace on new rad.

When re attaching cooler lines, attach one side, then prime the other side of the cooler. Best to get the cooler semi full of oil, then attach line before all the fluid drains out.

There are other write ups, all with their merits, my way is easiest for me.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
Easy enough. Don't screw the top two screws on either side in too far. If you haven't ordered, I like Nissens
^ Oh yes! I put 2 washers on the top screws. He is talking about the 2 that hold the lower fan shroud to the rad.

Also, Make sure you transfer the lower fan shroud clips from the old rad to the new, the bottom lip of shroud fits in-between the clips and the rad.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I basically did what abran said, but I did not disconnect or remove the coolers. There is one screw holding each cooler onto the radiator. Remove tne screw and slide the cooler over to remove the tab from the slot.

The following users liked this post:
Wildgxr (12-28-2023)
Old 05-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

did not remove cooler lines when I did mine. went with a Nissens- so far, so good. good write-up abran.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Only other suggestion would be to replace the o-rings in the trans cooler lines (and oil cooler lines, if you have them) to prevent leaks. Sometimes those hose connections have to be worked pretty good to come off, so replacing the o-rings is simple and cheap insurance. It would be a shame to trade leaking coolant for leaking oil.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
^ Oh yes! I put 2 washers on the top screws. He is talking about the 2 that hold the lower fan shroud to the rad.

Also, Make sure you transfer the lower fan shroud clips from the old rad to the new, the bottom lip of shroud fits in-between the clips and the rad.
i learned the hard way the side effects of being stupid.... but the trail fix that Dusty came up with still works

Old 05-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yep thinking we should repackage and sell that repair kit......$3 tapered danco valve washer and bushing = $17 compression repair for radiator screw/tap leak.....

Old 05-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I also didn't remove the cooler lines...if you unscrew the one end of the cooler from the rad. you can separate it. With some risk of messing up those cooler fittings and them leaking I figured it was safer that way...also didn't want to lose any trans fluid.

Quick Reply: Any tips for radiator replacement