Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashtray's official selfhelp/progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012 | 10:05 PM
|
Mudding

Just wanted to up date everyone.

Interior progress: I've cleaned up all panels windows handles rubber plastic components with the Mr. Clean magic eraser and a cup of warm water. The speedo cowl has been screwed down and does not move at all is it flush. The interior leak has been fully addressed and remedied. Leather is clean as well. The few light bulbs that needed replacing have been taken care of. The clock has been replaced thanks to a member on here. My door locks are next as well as the headliner and thats it for the interior.

Exterior progress: Not much has been done on the outside. But I'm planning an entire sunday set aside to do the fender flares and paint. The B driver side pillar is fixed and doesnt rattle in the wind any more. I got new windshield washer nozzles and hooked them up, now need to fiddle with the bottle and the front of the driver side wheel as it shoots a hose off that is too lose because of the psi I am assuming the hose cannot handle anymore due to age. Gonna try a ziptie first and if not I'll just replace with something I concoct. Lower intake cowel was replaced as well. Next in line for the exterior besides paint and fender flares areeeee.......HELLA spot lamps for my stock Disco II brush guard and a hidden winch mount. I'm not sure if I'll do the lift and tires first then the winch but we'll see.

Mechanical: I got a HD front drive shaft and seafoamed it twice as well as put a powerful cleansing agent called "gumout" into the gas tank. Supposedly helps with cleaning the valves and injectors. Obviously no noticeable feeling right away but I am a optimist. Plugs wires good. Coils good. Washed the bay as well. Also got the brass bleader screw. So pretty!

Thats all for now.

As for the spot lamps, what do you all recommend? I looked at HELLA and like them a lot they seem like great quality just pricey. I mainly want them for looks during the day but would like a wide flood effect for night at the ranch and such.

I know cheap and Land Rover dont go good together, but I also have seen some really cheap 50-70 dollar ones at places like Autozone...what about these since I'm not the most EXTREME off-roader or baja racer.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks again everyone. Loving this forum very much.

Last edited by ashtray; 10-19-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2012 | 10:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Are you mounting driving lights to a factory brush guard? I put Hella 700FF on mine and they're the perfect size. Cheap kit from amazon.

Old 10-19-2012 | 10:22 PM
|
Mudding

Yeah its the factory 2001 wrap around brush guard with the little bars blocking the headlamps too. I saw those 700FF and I considered them. How do they perform? Brighter than stock brights? Whats the difference between the 700 and 500 FF??

Old 10-19-2012 | 10:30 PM
Three Wheeling

They are similar brightness with H3 55w bulbs but have a tighter spread that reaches much farther down a 2 lane road (with careful aiming). You will want to hook them up to turn on with the high beams because they work great together.

Old 10-19-2012 | 10:43 PM
|
Mudding

I thought that auxiliary lights could be turned on whenever you wanted. With brights on or off, with lows on or off, with fogs on or off. Is this not the case? I thought they allowed that freedom.

Old 10-19-2012 | 11:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Well they are driving lights, so they're not much use without the highs. Plus they have to be wired that way to be street legal here in CA since they would blind other drivers with no beam cutoff of course.

Old 10-20-2012 | 03:26 AM
|
Mudding

I can wire it any way I'd like...I'm in Texas haha. As for blinding people, I'd make sure to not turn them on in any situation where that was possible.