Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera...Reverse Wire Riddle

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 04:21 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backup Camera...Reverse Wire Riddle

so...i have been working to get a back-up camera installed for my son's D2. i just took for a test drive and it looks like i have tapped into the brake wire. what i need to do is tap into the reverse light wire...HOWEVER...i cannot seem to locate. I have tapped everyone of the 4 wires in the first picture. the wire color key says look for a green/brown wire...my tailight harness does not have a green/brown. it does have a black (ground), green/purple, red/black and green/red. any ideas? should i go further up the tail light wire stream (pic 2) and tap into one of these wires...ugh

Old 01-05-2020, 05:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Yeah.

I ran a wire from my reverse tail light bulb through the cockpit to my stereo for my reverse camera signal/display.

Last edited by No Doubt; 01-05-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:09 PM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

The reversing lights GN wire (green/brown) can be found around the dash, instead of having to go all the way to the back of the truck:
• Behind the rear-view mirror (C0698), where it's used for the auto-dipping function of the mirror.
• In the driver's footwell connectors (C0102/C0484), where it runs from the main harness to the body harness, for the reversing lights.
• In connector C0661 (pin 8) at the BCU, where it is used to signal the BCU that reverse has been selected, for the auto rear wiper function.
• In the 'accessory socket' connector (C0942) adjacent to the under-dash fuse box. C0942 can be found in later vehicles - it's one of the places where the accessory navigation kit plugs into.

I hooked mine up today, tapping into the pin 8 wire of the C0661 connector. Just remove the cardboard fascia below the glovebox, and look for the yellow plug on the BCU. Looking from the face side of the plug (not the wire side) with the plug retainer lug on top, pin 1 is at the top left so count across to pin 8 and confirm that the wire is green/brown.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:17 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANK YOU everyone for the feedback and thoughts! I posted a similar question on another FB Land Rover forum...and just figured out my mistake...i was tapping the wire in the upper tail light...on the 03/04 models the reverse is in the bumper tail light (duh)...i wished i would have done more research prior to installing.

Mollusc: thanks for all of the detail! I had to tap a rear wire due to the way the camera harness was fabricated...i did hard wire the camera/mirror (VanTop model) to the fuse box under the steering wheel.

The following users liked this post:
SundayFunday (07-03-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 08:51 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that green with brown chaser could look more like green with orange chaser? I'm not super great with colors but I swear I'm om C0661-8 and it looks green w/ orange to me.

Originally Posted by mollusc
The reversing lights GN wire (green/brown) can be found around the dash, instead of having to go all the way to the back of the truck:
• Behind the rear-view mirror (C0698), where it's used for the auto-dipping function of the mirror.
• In the driver's footwell connectors (C0102/C0484), where it runs from the main harness to the body harness, for the reversing lights.
• In connector C0661 (pin 8) at the BCU, where it is used to signal the BCU that reverse has been selected, for the auto rear wiper function.
• In the 'accessory socket' connector (C0942) adjacent to the under-dash fuse box. C0942 can be found in later vehicles - it's one of the places where the accessory navigation kit plugs into.

I hooked mine up today, tapping into the pin 8 wire of the C0661 connector. Just remove the cardboard fascia below the glovebox, and look for the yellow plug on the BCU. Looking from the face side of the plug (not the wire side) with the plug retainer lug on top, pin 1 is at the top left so count across to pin 8 and confirm that the wire is green/brown.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:51 PM
4th Gear

In case anyone is still monitoring this, I can't seem to figure out which wire to tap. I tapped the wire that was described in this post and is also indicated in the official electrical library and it's not correct. It is the wire that indicated that the window washer is being activated. Will attach a photo.

I also found some reference to a wire further back in the BCU on C0662 there might be something relevant, but did not have any luck there either.

I will include a picture of the wire I tapped that I believe to be C0661-8. It is the wire that is "pulled out" on the far right. It looks either Green with brown or orange tracer. I am not good with colors.

If anyone knows anything more about this it would be much appreciated.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:42 PM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

I think that's pin 11. At least it seems so according to the picture on page 536 of the D2 electrical library. But almost none of those wires correspond with the colours that are described.
I will see if I can work out where I tapped into on mine and send a photo, but I can't guarantee that I will be able to get to it for at least a week. Gearing up for a trip away.

branden157 (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 07:03 PM
4th Gear

Man I'm pretty confused. None of the descriptions seem to be matching up for me. If you count 8 over it's that blue wire. The wire at 11 is the only green with something close to brown chase in that connector.

Anyway no rush at all and any help at all is appreciated.

Last edited by branden157; 08-02-2022 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 99 Posts

1. Get a multi-meter (Klein, Fluke, HF, whatever brand), set of test wires with alligator clips and t-pins
2. Put your multi-meter in 12 Volts, alligator clip to a ground (look for stud or solid metal object under the dash)
3. Shift the truck in reverse and test each pin; if its difficult to make good contact from the front of the harness connector you can use the t-pins to back-probe the connector
4. Your meter should light up with 12V+ on a green/brown wire, shift back to park and make sure you no longer have 12V+, verify again and then you should be good to splice into that wire.

mollusc (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 11:02 AM
4th Gear

Oh. Oh right.
Yes that's a rather good and obvious solution that I definitely should have thought of.

Thanks Gecko!