Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bake Pedal leaks down and pumps up

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

did you flush your system or just bleed the brakes?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Resolved on OP Vehicle

This turned out to be a number of things, and as each was identified or resolved, things improved. Here goes:

The rubber lines were replaced with the braided stainless (all six). After this, the pedal firmed up somewhat but still not what it should have been;

The bleeding was not done correctly by the dealer, the second time round, they used the computer and two guys. This made a big improvement, but still had issues of lots of brake pressure and not much stopping power. Still scary going down my hill in the morning;

Then, it seemed odd, there was no brake dust at all on the wheels. This seemed odd. Then it hit me. These were ceramic pads. That is why they did not work well down my hill in the morning, they were cold. Took them out to the hills and made repeated stops from fifty MPH on steep downhills, straight as an arrow, no fade. Took out someone else's Disco ll and we did the same thing and after second stop with factory linings it got a bit squirrely.

Learned that after five or six minutes of driving, the ceramic pads heat up from drag on the rotors. Then all is fine. So we are happy with the brakes now. I think the combination of the rubber lines, the incorrect initial bleeding and me testing them ice cold and not realizing they were ceramic, all contributed. Now we actually like the brakes. Even the ABS engages on panic stops. This it would not do cold before.