Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 07:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts
Default Battery Drain Mystery

OK, I posting this hoping someone else has already crossed this bridge and figured out the problem.

03 Disco HSE - 134k on the clock - has the sat nav radio but otherwise no interesting electronics.

My battery has been going down overnight, just started happening. Newish battery - 1 yr old. Had it tested at Advance Auto just in case - tested good.

No lights on in the interior, no recent upgrades and modifications.

I pulled all the fuses/links from the engine fusebox one at a time and checked the current flow (I have a DVM with a current meter), maximum drain from any circuit was .3 amp, only one other circuit had any drain and it was more like .03 amp.

If anyone else has had this problem and figured it out please let me know.

Starting tonight I am going to start pulling 1 fuse at a time and letting it sit overnight, see which one makes a difference with the starting.

Thanks

Tim

Old 10-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The drain of 0.3 amps is one hell of a lot. My guess is that the security system, clock, ECU memory retention etc should only drain circa 20-40 milliamps in total. Your truck is draining 3 amps every 10 hours which is severe but shouldn't cause it to be a non starter. Which circuit/fuse drained 0.3 amps?

Try disconnecting the battery overnight when fully charged, test the battery and then test againg the following day to see whether it's losing it's charge overnight.

What make/model/type of battery are you using?

Old 10-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a mysterious battery drain at one point also. Switched from airbags to a 2" coil spring lift and I didn't turn off the SLS in the computer. After I took the truck to someone with a scanner to turn off the SLS system the battery drain stopped. If you no longer have airbags then I would make sure the SLS is turned off in the computer.
There is a large black box under the drivers side of the truck with all the SLS components in it. If don't have airbags and you can here clicking and noise coming from that box while your truck is off then the system is still active.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY
I had a mysterious battery drain at one point also. Switched from airbags to a 2" coil spring lift and I didn't turn off the SLS in the computer. After I took the truck to someone with a scanner to turn off the SLS system the battery drain stopped. If you no longer have airbags then I would make sure the SLS is turned off in the computer.
There is a large black box under the drivers side of the truck with all the SLS components in it. If don't have airbags and you can here clicking and noise coming from that box while your truck is off then the system is still active.
I think that is probably it, I have noise that comes from that exact spot! Does anyone know if there is a way to turn it off without taking it to someone with the computer?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Camel Trophy

Found it - great post by Savannah Buzz: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...18/#post377199