Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best battery for a DII?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Well for starters, most of the Odyssey batteries are deep cycle batteries, Sears are not.
Nonsense. First, I haven't done an exact count, but I see no preponderance of deep cycle batteries from Odyssey. Second, no one has said most Sears batteries are deep cycle.
Anyone using, truely using their battery for winching and tons of electrical components will tell you there is no comparison.
No comparison between using a starting battery and a deep cycle? I agree, that's why I've been using deep cycle batteries for winching for over 30 years.
The Odyssey will also go up to 1090 CCA, with 200 minutes of reserve, more then any Sears battery.
"The Odyssey"? There are many Odyssey batteries, which one are you talking about? I was saying that the Sears Platinum batteries (there's a difference between them and regular Diehards and Sears other batteries) are the same as particular Odyssey batteries.
Mike, we've covered this before, when you made the same claims.
http://www.lrrforums.com/showpost.ph...51&postcount=7

But I'm open minded. If you can back up what you said with some sort of evidence, I'm more than willing to be convinced otherwise. So far all I've seen is opinion presented as fact.

Last edited by antichrist; 12-11-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go on the Expedition Exchange and read John's article of the Odyssey battery.
The 2150 will put out 1090 CCA's
I was only looking at Sear's Platinum battery for some sort of comparison.
I am not sure what you are looking to fight over today. Sears, for over the past near 30 years, has had more law suits/class action suits over their batteries, yes that was then and slowly they are improving, but they have had the worst track record of any retail, non-commerical battery ever sold.
As I mentioned, I don't use the Odyssey batteries,because I believe they are over priced and I like my Yellow Tops, but you can't find where they have ever had a complaint over them and their quality.

So back to the original statement, yes Sears sells a battery that is made by the same company as the Odyessy, but they are not even close to equals.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I like my Yellow Tops, but you can't find where they have ever had a complaint over them and their quality.

Mike are you running dual yellow tops in your disco? i was going to change my battery out next and was thinking of the blue top. do you prefer dual yellows?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Baja

As for Sears batteries in general, given the number of batteries they sell, and the ubiquitousness of Sears, I wouldn't be at all surprised. But to be honest, I haven't really paid any attention to them because I've 40 years experience using batteries from Sears, and not a single problem. Actually, given the number of batteries in family vehicle service in the last 40 years, probably over 500 battery years first hand experience without a problem. Even so, I'm not suggesting anyone buy a "Sears" battery.
So back to the original statement, yes Sears sells a battery that is made by the same company as the Odyessy, but they are not even close to equals.
Not interested in fighting, but I hate to see opinion presented as fact.

Once again, show us where you're getting the data to back up your opinion that the Diehard Platinum P-4 and the Odyssey PC1500 "are not even close to equals".

Like I said, if you can show us evidence to support your opinion, I'm more than happy to change my mind. Just restating an opinion isn't kind of evidence.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Tom, I don't have to show you, I have already posted for you to check on the Expedition Exchange for the Odyssey battery specs. If you don't have the time to do a search, I am sure not going to waste any more of my time looking up something that I know to be fact per on-line information.
If you are bored, go out and work on your truck or something. I spent about 30 minutes earlier today finding the information I needed to back up my belief, you want to disprove it go for it other wise drop it.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Baja

No, that's fine, keep the information to yourself. I'm sure some folks like to base their decisions on opinion rather than technical information, and your contributions to this fulfill their needs.

For those who actually want technical information rather than opinion, I posted the links. Though I admit the Odyssey web site could be wrong, but I sort of doubt it.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Baja

Thought some folks might be interested.

I just got a call back from an Odyssey rep at their headquarters. She confirmed that the Odyssey battery and Diehard I provided links to are exactly the same battery internally. Just different case colour and labeling.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist

I just got a call back from an Odyssey rep at their headquarters. She confirmed that the Odyssey battery and Diehard I provided links to are exactly the same battery internally. Just different case colour and labeling.
Thank you Tom, just goes to prove that in the interest of making money you can put any label want on a twin and charge more.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist

Thought so. Thanks for getting the facts.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Spike555
Thank you Tom, just goes to prove that in the interest of making money you can put any label want on a twin and charge more.
Well, to be fair, the Odyssey was on the market first.
Plus, there are plenty of people who need a battery who've never heard of Odyssey, and would never pay Odyssey prices for a Sears battery. Then there are plenty, I'm sure, who know of both but will always assume the Sears is a lesser battery. I doubt it will hurt Odyssey sales significantly. I'd hazard that there are a lot of people who'll pay the little extra for the Platinum, who'd never buy an Odyssey.

Originally Posted by Jupiter Rover
Thought so. Thanks for getting the facts.
No problem. I find the easiest way to put to rest internet misinformation is to just call the people who actually make the product in question. I did the same thing to get the facts about different u-joints.

Last edited by antichrist; 08-07-2009 at 06:25 AM.