Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Plans This Weekend (Need Advice!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 01:54 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

One red line a day keeps the slush away

Old 02-11-2021, 02:39 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
Unbolt those rockers and clean them outside of the engine. There's no timing necessary with hydraulic tappets. Best not to rotate the engine while they're off, just to be on the safe side.
Originally Posted by mln01
I agree with mollusc. Just remove the rocker arms and get them cleaned up off the engine. Maybe your friend with the garage has a good parts cleaning setup.

Just keep track of which side each rocker arm came from. They are identical when manufactured, but I would recommend putting them back on the side they came from. Same with the pushrods. I drill holes In a 2 x 4 to keep the pushrods in order.
Didn't know they wouldn’t require retiming. I’ll go ahead and pull them and clean em up in the parts washer in that case. Thanks for the tip on the pushrod management while they’re out with that 2x4. The new intake manifold and throttle body gaskets won’t be in until Saturday anyways so I’ve got time to kill.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Unbolt those rockers and clean them outside of the engine. There's no timing necessary with hydraulic tappets. Best not to rotate the engine while they're off, just to be on the safe side.
The plan for tomorrow is to use the RAVE instructions below, go to town on these in the parts washer, then lightly oil and put everything back together. On the first fill, I’m probably gonna use a cheap oil and filter with a can of seafoam. Run that for about 15 minutes to clear out any residual loose gunk then redrain and fill with the 15w40 T5 Rotella and Mobil 1-301 filter. What do you think?

Old 02-12-2021, 06:48 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

With that much nasty stuff up top, I would pull the oil pan and clean out the bottom end before trying to run it. The top end deposits are often the result of condensing oil vapours over a long period of time, usually meaning that it was run with little oil in it. That can lead to wear or sludge on the bottom end.
It's not too much of a hassle to drop the pan and clean it out, and perhaps even check/replace the rod bearings while you're there.
Once all of that is done you can start thinking about oil-based in situ cleaning.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:26 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Agree with dropping the oil pan. My replacement 4.6 had much more sludge on the top end than yours but had a huge amount in the oil pan. If I remember correctly you will need to lift it up by the frame so the axle and hangs to be able to remove the oil pan. Recommend removing the pick up tube so you can clean the metal filter and that will mean a new o-ring for reassembly.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by keninnc
Agree with dropping the oil pan. My replacement 4.6 had much more sludge on the top end than yours but had a huge amount in the oil pan. If I remember correctly you will need to lift it up by the frame so the axle and hangs to be able to remove the oil pan. Recommend removing the pick up tube so you can clean the metal filter and that will mean a new o-ring for reassembly.
Thanks, I took a look at the today while I was putting in the new rear grommet for that weird access port. Do I need to remove that crossbeam in order to drop and slide it out? Also, will I just see the pickup tube once I remove the oil pan or is there any extra disassembly I’ll need to do? Went ahead and ordered a new oil pan gasket as well in preparation for this.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:07 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

You don't need to remove the crossbeam to get the oil pan out. I have HD springs so my front is slightly higher than stock, and I don't even need to raise the truck to get the pan out, but on a stock truck you will probably need to lift up the engine/body a bit.
Pickup tube is right there when you get the pan off -- check the RAVE for the process and it will show you pictures of what to expect.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:29 AM
Drifting

You don't need to remove the crossbeam to get the oil pan out. I have HD springs so my front is slightly higher than stock, and I don't even need to raise the truck to get the pan out, but on a stock truck you will probably need to lift up the engine/body a bit.
Pickup tube is right there when you get the pan off -- check the RAVE for the process and it will show you pictures of what to expect.
Found it in the RAVE. I’ll have to do it tomorrow since we had a snow storm come through, can’t get to the shop today.