General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Big Picture: Fuses vs. Control Module Failure

Old 05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Big Picture: Fuses vs. Control Module Failure

The time has come for me to replace my current vehicle. Recently, I have been browsing local dealerships and advertisements for Land Rovers, and upon inspection of 2 models within my price range, I have found a recurrent issue: both models ('96 DI w/99,000 mi.; '98 RR 4.6 HSE w/ 94,000 mi.) are experiencing nearly identical electrical failures involving the window/sunroof switches.

Since finding this forum, I have read through some 20 pages of postings in both Disco and RR sections concerning electrical failures. The solution offered approximately 70% of the time is that the fuses are blown, and must be replaced. After calling our local (Huntsville) dealer, he offered me the same advice: "Check its fuses first. However, if its fuses are blown, there IS a reason..." Also, I have read articles elsewhere about a Control Module which effectively distributes power amongst the vehicle's systems. It is possible it has partially failed.

I'm trying to understand what I'm dealing with here. Were I to buy one of these vehicles (the '98 RR is favored), what would the likelihood be that I would be making a wise investment, versus digging a money pit? I am sure there are many here with experience in this same area, and all advice would be appreciated. Obviously I am new to the Land Rover market, but I have done a good bit of homework, and am still somewhat in the dark.

Thank you for your time,
Ryan

Old 05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: The Big Picture: Fuses vs. Control Module Failure

You are not going to be digging a money pit. Worse case, you may need to replace the body ECU which is normally the problem.
Overall, Rovers are great trucks, you have to remember they were built in the UK. what else can I say.
Mike

Old 05-11-2006, 12:57 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Big Picture: Fuses vs. Control Module Failure

I think you are correct. All roads point to the BECM as the source of its woes. I appreciate the advice!