Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket or spark plugs and wires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket or spark plugs and wires?

My '04 Disco II started leaking coolant, before I noticed the leak it over heated (red temperature light came on briefly). We found that the coolant reservoir had a crack at the outlet port and fixed it (plastic disintegrated), but it continues to loose coolant and there are no other visible leaks. Now the Service Engine Soon light keeps coming on, blinks occasionally, then goes away. It is throwing fault codes P1319 and P0306 (cylinder misfires), and stutters every now and then. It has been burning more oil than usual as well. I am assuming I blew the head gasket when it over heated, but would be happy to be proven wrong. Unfortunately, all this happened during a 3000 mile road trip over the holidays. So now I am concerned about what damage may have been done by driving with a blown head gasket all that time if that is indeed the problem. Yes, the oil appears a bit greasy. Any info appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Pull the plug out of cylinder #6 and take a look at it. If there's any evidence of coolant in the cylinder, unfortunately it's probably a head gasket or a crack in the block behind the cylinder liner.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Melissa80210

Confirming post overheating engine condition may require removal of the heads to allow inspection and flatness measurement of the engine block surface where the heads attach and surface of both heads. Engine block pressure testing can determine condition of the cylinders.

Before doing you might wish to confirm head gasket failure. Visual inspections you can do include checking engine oil for a milky appearance. Removing and inspecting spark plugs on the misfire cylinder(s) looking for clean appearance resulting from steaming coolant. Compare condition with spark plug removed from non-misfire cylinder. Steam cleaned spark plug may be evidence of vaporized coolant leaking into the cylinder. With an inspection mirror and flash light you can visually inspect the back of the engine for coolant leak. In addition consider having the engine evaluated by an auto repair company preferably one specializing in British vehicles.

Below is a link to an article by JE Robison Service Company of Springfield, MA entitled "Diagnosis of overheating in a V8 Petrol Land Rover" that may offer additional perspective on your problem.

http://www.robisonservice.com/articles/Overheating.pdf

Best Regards,

Charles
Bel Air, MD

Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice response RoverD