Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a non runner, help get it going

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 11:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Would you think that weak sparks on all plugs would be bad coil packs, wires, or grounding?
Why would the Foxwell turn on the fuel pump, but not your ignition key?

Old 06-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Did you spray it with fluid like was said or did I miss that?
No, I've never dared use it on a gas engine, due to all the horror stories I heard growing up near the Canadian border. I'm sure it is safe if used properly, and I'm not arguing that it is not.....but old habits die hard.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Sounds like there is a reason you got a good deal. The flashing odometer probably means they tried to fix this and could not.

Unfortunately it sounds like wiring.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

You don’t have to “spray” anything. Remove PCV vent line from intake, dump a little fuel directly into the intake, re-attach PCV/breather line & try to start it. “If” it sputters or coughs = you have a fuel issue. If you get nada zip nothing you have a spark or CPS issue.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:24 PM
Overlanding

Put fuel in the intake as described, cranked for a long time.....nothing. Replaced coils with used set and double checked each wire on both ends for firing order....nothing

thought maybe it it was a faulty ground to ecu, followed wiring diagram and it ohmed out good.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

What error codes are you seeing via the Foxwell?

Old 06-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by No Doubt
What error codes are you seeing via the Foxwell?
There was a voltage supply code in the ECU which I thought was from the battery being run down. I didn't find any codes in the bcu. I went through the other systems, only thing weird is it can't communicate with the cruise control.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Tucson_Jay
There was a voltage supply code in the ECU which I thought was from the battery being run down. I didn't find any codes in the bcu. I went through the other systems, only thing weird is it can't communicate with the cruise control.
I've heard of people getting no error code when they have a bad Crank Position Sensor (CPS). Cheap to replace.

A failed CPS would cause a no spark situation.

Maybe clear the codes, replace the CPS, and retry?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:48 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by No Doubt
I've heard of people getting no error code when they have a bad Crank Position Sensor (CPS). Cheap to replace.

A failed CPS would cause a no spark situation.

Maybe clear the codes, replace the CPS, and retry?
Well I can certainly try put the original one back in. I did replace it with a non bosch one from oreilley. According to the foxwell, it is showing cranking rpm, but maybe a bad/false signal???? My other thought was a bad coil(or two) and the used ones also bad, or wires are bad. The pug wires look to be recently replaced, but who knows.

PS, you mentioned getting the BCU/ECU synched(married) with the foxwell. The ECU date of manufacture and the vin number match the vehicle. How do you pair them to eliminate the flashing odometer?

Old 06-06-2018, 02:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Tucson_Jay
Well I can certainly try put the original one back in. I did replace it with a non bosch one from oreilley. According to the foxwell, it is showing cranking rpm, but maybe a bad/false signal???? My other thought was a bad coil(or two) and the used ones also bad, or wires are bad. The pug wires look to be recently replaced, but who knows.

PS, you mentioned getting the BCU/ECU synched(married) with the foxwell. The ECU date of manufacture and the vin number match the vehicle. How do you pair them to eliminate the flashing odometer?
Odometer will flash if the dash is not original (VIN doesn't match ECU+BCU). Maybe the Foxwell can put your VIN into the dash?