Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake bleed???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:02 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake bleed???

I was wondering how you do a brake bleed?? I plan replacing the rotors and pads myself... but I would like to change the brake fluid too. I have an '03. If anyone can give me a quick how to id appreciate it. thanks.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: brake bleed???

Get a box wrench to fit the bleeders on the brakes, loosen theright rear bleeder and have a friend push the brake pedal to the floor and have them hold it while you tighten the bleeder back up. If you dont tighten the bleeder before he releases the brake pedal you will get a air bubble in your brakeline and that brake will not work.
Release the brake pedal, loosen bleeder and repeat. Make sure that you keep the brake resevoir full and do this until clear fluid comes out.
Move to the other rear wheel and do the same, then move to the fronts.
You can put a tube on the bleeder, like water line for a ice maker, on the bleeder and not make as big of a mess.
Make sure that the bleeders are clean and free of dirt before you start so that you dont get dirt inside the caliper.
Use a good name brand LMA (low moisture absorption) brake fluid, like Valvoline synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid. LR recommends Castrol but I think that is only because Castrol is a British company.
Hope this answers your question.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Let me suggest that you have the person pumping the brakes, pump the pedal "3" times then hold the pedal down before you open the valve to bleed the lines. Repeat this however many time you must until you get clear fluid while bleeding.
Make sure to keep filling the master cylinder after each wheel, I would suggest you buy 2 quarts of Vavoline's synthetic brake fluid.
Start with the r/r wheel then the l/r, r/f and left front.
You will need a Torques socket to remove the calipers and a #4 philips head and a hand held impact driver to remove the rotors.
Whos pad and rotors are you going to be using?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't have any friends to help you can use run a small tube from the bleeder tip into a jar or coffee can and submerge it in some break fluid. This allows you to pump the pedal by yourself but remember to top off the reservoir between every pump or two to keep it from sucking in air. Also, don't leave the resevoir lid of as break fluid will go everywhere as you pump.

If your fluid is really old and black it is usually a good idea to run fluid through the lines until it is all changed out with new fluid.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually you start bleeding at the farthest wheel away r/randdothe shortest line last l/f(that's how I did it). Then I saw in my RAVE manual that they say do it just the opposite (or close to it, I can't remember bk/ there was a diff. between left hand and right hand drive). What's up with that? Are the British just backwards?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

you can always do a gravity bleed, takes a little longer but can be done by one person while doing other work on the truck.