Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake dust buildup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:38 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake dust buildup?

I was first visited by the 3 amigos in my '01 D2 140K Miles yesterday. TC, ABS, HDC are on, and I can't get TC or ABS to kick in. Haven't tried HDC.

I pull a heavy trailer a few times a week, my brake pads and rotors are only a few months old all the way around. I haven't popped a wheel off to check, but the truck stops great and I don't think I've been braking hard or wearing them too much more than normal. I'm towing within the truck's 5,500lb. limit, and making an effort to take it easy starting and stopping.

When I went to move the trailer right after startup the other morning, I braked a bit hard while manuvering, TC pulsed a few times while the truck stopped, and then the amigos showed up.

MY QUESTION IS: could this be from dust buildup? I haven't washed the truck in a while... If this could effect the ABS or TC, and I were to keep the brakes cleaned, and reset with the ABS Amigo, would the TC ABS AND HDC work again?

Thanks for input!
-Dave

Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 PM
4wd Low

Hey I forgot to mention brand new tires on about a month ago, so when TC kicks in, it seems weight or momentum related, not slip due to road surface.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:03 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a bad sensor or your hub is starting to go bad.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you know what brand of brake pads you have, some make more dust then others?
Have your brakes been squeaking, at all, if so, that can cause the 3 amigos to come on sometimes, or stay on.
Wash your wheels down when they get dirty.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:14 PM
4wd Low

ThanKs Mike!

If I clear the brake dust (remove wheels and brake parts cleaner/ compressed air) and then keep them clean by regular washing/ cleaning, should the 3 amigos go back south of the border and TC, ABS, and HDC begin working again when the lights go out? If not, should I go and see if the dealership will read and clear the codes for free? The nearest dealership is around 40 miles from me.

Thanks again for info!
-Dave

Old 11-27-2009, 02:00 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They will not read your ABS codes for free. It will cost you anywhere from $60 to $100 for a diagnostic. Honestly I believe that for dust to cause the 3 amigos it would have to be really bad. My wheels have gotten pretty dirty from brake dust in the past and it does not trigger them. My opinion is that you are in the beginning phase where the amigos pop up once and a while then disappear. They will come back permanently sooner or later though. It could be a number of things, hub going bad, sensor going bad, shuttle valve going bad or the connection in your modulator going bad from a bad soldering point.

All are fixable DIY but you need to know what code is being thrown. I would buy an ABS Amigo rather than go to the dealer twice (once for a diagnostic and again after the fix to get the codes cleared).

Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for all the info, guys... I ended up purchasing the Bearmach Hawkeye scan tool to read and clear it. I just recieved it today, and now I need to make some sense out of the codes. A few ABS slabs codes 1 related to brakes and a 2 related to valves/compressor SLS system. There were a few ECU codes related to fuel etc. I'm excited to get into it and get Grover running like new. Thanks for everyone's help, talk to you soon.

-Dave

Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much did you pay for your Hawkeye?

Old 12-06-2009, 03:11 PM
4wd Low

Bought from AtlanticBritish with a few other odds and ends... I think it was $650. I need an hour to sit in the truck and play with it, seems awesome the 15 or so minutes I've tried it out so far! I wish I could share it locally, but don't know the best way to contact local DII owners. I don't want to ship it etc... Any advice anyone?

PS all DTCs were historical or intermittent so I cleared them and now no lights (lets hope for a while)

-Dave