Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake light problem

any idea why I would only have two of the three lights lighting up when I hit the brake, but all of them light up when I hit the "rear foglight switch" on the dash, I believe it uses the brighter brake light element in the dual element bulb doesn't it? I've changed out the bulb because I thought that it might be bad but that seems to not be the case. It's the brake light on the drivers side if that matters. I would think if it was a wiring problem it wouldn't light up at all, it also ONLY does it when the headlights are on. Should I maybe just bypass it and wire it in with the passenger brake light?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Pull you light bulbs out and see why you have a problem, and replace in sets as well as any that are starting to get black.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Top two brake lights work fine, but bottom passenger's side brake light doesn't go on when I hit the brakes.

However, if I turn on the rear foglight button, it comes on.

The same thing happens with a confirmed good bulb, so I'm assuming it's not the bulb I just bought.

Disco Mike says to replace in sets... does that mean I should replace the driver's side bottom brake light at the same time, or the same-side reverse light? I did replace the reverse light at the same time, and it works as it should.

Anyone think they know? Thanks in advance,

-Bob

Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it ended up being a loose connection, i thought that I responded to my post but evidently i didn't once I figured out what was causing it. All I did was hook the connections in the socket and pull them up so that they made a better connection to the bulb base and it fixed my problem. Let me know if you need a hand, i'm in Charlotte also so I can take a look.