Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light stays on always, fluid level looks good

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You can stop by most parts stores and they will read the codes for free. Write down the numbers and look up in the RAVE shop manual, or post back here. Flashing could indicate a serious misfire from plugs/wires/coils that is at a level that can damage catalytic converters.

Note - I have a pal with a Westie that I swear is held together with bumper stickers, they are great rolling billboards for all sorts of social causes.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help.

Brake fluid took care of the brake light.

Started the car in the dark and could see the spark from the wire to the engine. Code indicated misfire also. Have the wire pulled away so not touching the engine. Runs better and check engine went off after a time.

Have new wires to put on, any trick to getting to the back of the engine where they connect? Does not look like an easy job.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcox1974
Thanks for your help.

Brake fluid took care of the brake light.

Started the car in the dark and could see the spark from the wire to the engine. Code indicated misfire also. Have the wire pulled away so not touching the engine. Runs better and check engine went off after a time.

Have new wires to put on, any trick to getting to the back of the engine where they connect? Does not look like an easy job.
I just replaced the Coil pack on my 04 Disco.

I can tell you that after you attempt this job you will want to seek out the engineer who decided to put the coil pack behind the engine under the plenum cover and beat his ***!

There are a few write ups on how to change the plugs with out removing the cover. But I didn't see any way to change the coil pack itself with out removing the cover.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

Well, it is possible. I have done it. I removed and reinstalled both coil packs without removing the upper intake. It's tedious but doable.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default where is that switch located

I have the brake light flickering on and off and I am more likely inclined to think it may be a damaged parking brake switch. Where is the switch physically located to check this?

Thanks

Originally Posted by gprtech
The only things that turn on the brake light are low fluid level or the parking brake.

So there's a switch on the reservoir cap, and a switch on the parking brake handle. Adjusting the cable doesn't affect the warning light.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Under the center console attached the the hand brake lever.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

"The only things that turn on the brake light are low fluid level or the parking brake."

Per RAVE: The red brake graphic (all except NAS vehicles) or red brake legend (NAS vehicles), to warn of low brake fluid level, handbrake on and brake control system failure affecting EBD.

If the brake light is the only light on, or flickering, it is most likely your brake fluid level, the level sensor reading incorrectly, or your parking brake lever switch.

I have seen the brake light on continuously while the ABS HDC and TC are also lit. During that time, it was definitely NOT because of brake fluid level or parking brake being on. That was a case of system failure.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same brake problem on freelander 2

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If your light is on, unplug the connector on top of the brake fluid container. If light goes out that switch is the problem. If not, problem is hand brake switch or a ground in the wiring. These are "normally open" switches, and they "close" to connect a ground and turn on the light.
hello, I have the red handbrake light flickering on my Freelander 2 2007. This causes the dsc to activate when turning. Sometimes using the clutch pedal the red light turns off.
Removing the brake oil reservoir cap and unplugging the sensor causes to turn on another red brake light (near the fuel indicator).
The oil level is just 1mm above the maximum.
how can I solve that?
thank you

Old 12-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Ultra noob here, and have the same issue.

Just as a matter of course, is the switch test just a simple continuity test? My E brake is wonky, so I'm guessing this has something to do with it, but just wondered.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

With perfectly healthy fluid level and released parking brake switches, the red brake warning light can come on. It can make the 'four amigos' outputted by the brakes compfuser. And the Wabco manufacturer is very secretive about the reason, only they know why.