Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads & Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013 | 09:20 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Brake Pads & Traction Control

I recently switched to akebono pads about a month ago and they dont have a very aggressive initial bite. I was wondering what effect if any this has on the traction control system. Would a pad with a higher initial make the tc perform better off road?

Old 12-25-2013 | 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling

I think you're confusing the "disco two step" with a lack of initial bite. The akebono pads certainly bite fine and are very fade resistant but the disco has a known soft first pedal press. Pump your brakes and the second press will stop MUCH more aggressively.

Old 12-25-2013 | 09:39 PM
|
Three Wheeling

You may be right, im not sure which crappy brand of pads the previous owner had on it but they did have a higher bite. I know metallics generally have a higher bite than ceramics, just wondering if that would make a difference or does the tc use a higher or lower pressure to stop the free spinning wheel? Or was the tc setup to use the factory pads?

Old 12-25-2013 | 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling

What I'm trying to say is the pads really aren't what you're feeling. The rest of the braking system is causing the soft feeling not the pads. This is the case every disco regardless of the brake/rotor combo. You can stiffen it up a bit with stainless lines but even the most aggressive pad on Earth will feel a little soft on the first press in a disco.

Old 12-27-2013 | 08:32 AM
Baja

I only way I was able to get rid of the "disco two step" was to replace my lines and completely flush the system.

Old 12-27-2013 | 01:20 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by br0keit
What I'm trying to say is the pads really aren't what you're feeling. The rest of the braking system is causing the soft feeling not the pads. This is the case every disco regardless of the brake/rotor combo. You can stiffen it up a bit with stainless lines but even the most aggressive pad on Earth will feel a little soft on the first press in a disco.
Short of the brakes being needing bleed, what your refering to is called knockback. That isnt what im talking about, im talking about the compound of the pads. Some pads have a higher bite than other pads, and i was wondering if the tc system is set up to work with factory pad compound, or is it set to work off of pressure?

Old 12-29-2013 | 07:05 PM
Mudding

I put a set of Akebono pads and EBC dimpled rotors on my 2004 Disco and the difference was night and day. The pads took a little while to brake in (haha) but after a month or two they felt great. I really noticed a difference on slow steep descents off road, they bite but have a true feel to them with noticeably more control and confidence.The nicest thing with these akebono pads is I can go weeks without having to wash my wheels - almost zero brake dust!