Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken coolant line throttle body to coolant resevoir

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Broken coolant line throttle body to coolant resevoir

I cracked the line that runs from the throttle body heater plate back to the resevoir. It is the plastic one..
My question is, can I run a flexible hose/ line directly and remove the hard plastic line completly?
Thanks

Old 04-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace every plastic line under that hood now!!! Okay - maybe a bit extreme. But I did the same thing - broke the plastic throttle body to coolant tank line, then a couple months later broke the other (radiator to coolant tank). They are evil and become brittle at the least favorable time. I ran flexible hose to get me through until I could get the proper part and didn't have any issues, but I'm not sure about running it long duration. It would seem fine, since all your other coolant lines are rubber. The only thing I see being an issue is, since there is no rigidity, the line may droop down onto a hot metal part (exhaust manifold) and burn through.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Rock Crawling

I think that will be my fix too....
Should be able to attach the line to something to prevent it from touching anything hot.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree, use the rubber hose and zip tie it up out of the way, run it longer if you have to just make sure it cant kink or get caught on something.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran vac hose for 2 weeks without a problem when i ordered my replacements.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Having had the same problem i have to agree with the first responder replace them all. You can jury rig it for a while but i would be looking to see when you faverate parts supllier is having a sale on hose kits. Ever other hose under your hood is also 11 years old.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they're awful. replace them all but not with the original part. definitely use high heat hose and zip tie to other bits along it's way.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Default used a high temp fuel line as a fix

..so as a temporary fix I found a reinforced fuel line that I ran from the throttle body to the resevoir. Seems to work well.
Question...
Could this be a permanent way to do this or do you guys recommend getting the replacement original, hard plastic line for British Atlantic? From the pics does anyone see any issues with where it is now? I think there is no chance of kinking.... just wondering about running the entire length with hose?
Peace!!

Attached Thumbnails Broken coolant line throttle body to coolant resevoir-img_4457.jpg   Broken coolant line throttle body to coolant resevoir-img_4458.jpg  
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Rock Crawling

lol...
should of read your post SLANGIN..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CANAMDiscovery
..so as a temporary fix I found a reinforced fuel line that I ran from the throttle body to the resevoir. Seems to work well.
Question...
Could this be a permanent way to do this or do you guys recommend getting the replacement original, hard plastic line for British Atlantic? From the pics does anyone see any issues with where it is now? I think there is no chance of kinking.... just wondering about running the entire length with hose?
Peace!!
That's pretty much what I did, except I eliminated the throttle body. That hose that has the yellow line went the other way to the throttle body heater. I changed the hard line to the softer hose similar to what you have. As long as it's not touching anything hot there it should be great. The front hose to the expansion tank is very new so I'll leave that awhile but hopefully change it before it get's brittle and starts to crumble.

I followed the forum for all these changes.

Attached Thumbnails Broken coolant line throttle body to coolant resevoir-hose-elim.jpg