Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Buy or Not to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: To Buy or Not to Buy?

The tow rating is 5,000 lbs. That is with electric brakes of course.
Some have had a hard time finding the wiring harness for electric brakes but it is out there.
Others have tried to wire it themselves and had a hard time of it and yet others no problem.
But there are plug-n-play wire harness's out there, do a search on here for trailer wiring.
If all you want to do is install a flat four wire harness then get it from www.atlanticbritish.com, it is a 5 min install, thats what I did and I am very pleased with it.
And make sure that you test drive a couple before you buy so that you really know what to look for.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rscoon1

I wonder if it has anything to do with RUST!!! LOL We don't use salt here, shoot we're lucky if they put down gravel. I grew up west of Flint, Mi. My mom and dad and in laws still live there....I guess I could still call it home. But I'll never leave Montana!! I just checked craigslist and they have a 99 for $7000 and a 2003 for $10,000.

Small world. I was born in Flint, Mi, grew up West of there too.Keep us posted on the truck you get. Lots of them available down here in Texas.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I graduated from Davison High School in 1992....which is actually east of Flint, OOPs!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rscoon1
I'm considering purchasinga 2000 Disco II with 100,000 miles on it for the primary family vehicle. I'm tired of making payments and just want to pay cash for something and drive it. Seven seating and 4x4 are a must since we have a family of six that hunt, fish and camp. I've always wanted a Rover but it is a good purchase to make for the family? I have a Z71 Suburban so I'm used to forking money over for gas, but the maintenance on it is minimal. How's the maintenance cost on a Disco? How much can an experienced mechanic do himself wihout a ton of special tools? There's no Rover dealer here can you get parts at the Ford dealer. Any info would be great.
Thanks, Ron in Montana
This is the million dollar question. If you are that experience mechanic then you will have no problem maintaining and repairing these trucks. Before I purchase my Disco sevenmonths ago, I had 0 experience working on LR's. After I started repairing my grossly neglected truck, I realize the basic foundation (eng, susp, steer, brakes) of these trucks are no different than most other vehicles out there. The only tool I had to purchase was a 2-1/16" socket for removing the nut on the hubs during a brake job.Everything else is pretty much basic hand tools.Having a good set of torx sockets would be benificial.