Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 05:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

I've been to a couple oil classes where they recommended doing partial fluid changes on any transmission that has over 100K or if fluid change intervals are unknown. Did this on my 01, dropped fluid (about 4 quarts) and refilled using LR Dll method. Drove it for about 500 miles and then did a complete filter/oil change (about 7 quarts). The theory is...you don't shock the system by draining out all of the fluid at once. You're basically letting the system adjust to the higher viscosity and additive package.

Axles and transfer case fluids are just drop and refill.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yep I never have done a full transmission flush on anything over 75K basically. Filter, and fill, then drive it and drain/fill again if the fluid that came out was gross. I've seen D2 transmission fluid that came out black, did a filter/fill, reset the adaptive settings, and that D2 shifted great. Customer came back for their next oil change and I went ahead and did a drain/fill just because of what the fluid looked like before.

I've heard of people killing the HP22/HP24, and I've honestly never even got close to killing one. I think most of the deaths are due to front driveshafts failing, or a transmission cooler line breaking causing it to cook the transmission. Very robust transmission and something LR did a very good job using IMHO.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

When you're buying a car that is older than 10 years, you're pretty much getting a project. A Discovery will be an expensive project that, when done, is going to have a replacement cost of about $15K easy. In other words, if you total a moderately well-rebuild Disco, you'll need another $15K to get the same car GIVEN that you some, if not most of the work yourself.

$15K is a small price to pay for a great overland vehicle that you can actually work on yourself.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Don’t buy junk & it won’t be a 15k project lol. I’ve got 3 D2’s from 99 to 04 models with 108k to 235k on them and besides small repairs/typical upkeep I do nothing but drive & enjoy them.

Finding a well maintained LR is key. Beat up 500.00 to 2k wonders are everywhere and can range from clean with a dead engine to total rust bucket trash. My advice is just don’t rush into it until you’ve looked at a couple & you are familiar with their flaws. Then choose the best mechanically sound one. Paint is nothing vs being mechanically sound!

Old 10-16-2018, 02:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Don’t buy junk & it won’t be a 15k project lol. I’ve got 3 D2’s from 99 to 04 models with 108k to 235k on them and besides small repairs/typical upkeep I do nothing but drive & enjoy them.

Finding a well maintained LR is key. Beat up 500.00 to 2k wonders are everywhere and can range from clean with a dead engine to total rust bucket trash. My advice is just don’t rush into it until you’ve looked at a couple & you are familiar with their flaws. Then choose the best mechanically sound one. Paint is nothing vs being mechanically sound!
Depends on what you want. Here is what I include in the $15K tag:

1. Head gasket with heads properly machined, new lifters, rockers, other stuff that you change while being there
2. Complete cooling system overhaul, including water pump, radiator, all hoses
3. New front drive shaft, rotoflex
4. New brakes
5. New suspension
6. New interior
7. New exterior plastics
8. New exterior paint
9. Off road bumpers
10. Off road tires
11. All rubber hoses, vacuum lines, etc replaced
12. New audio system
13. New exhaust (full system)
14. All new liquids
15. New fuel pump

I've been saving my receipts and with 50% of work done by myself, it is about $15K if you include the price of the truck. This is my daily driver that is basically brand new sans the paint, my last to-do item. Don't include off-road accessories like whiches and roofs.

The following users liked this post:
Jason_B (10-16-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. choodles
Depends on what you want. Here is what I include in the $15K tag:

1. Head gasket with heads properly machined, new lifters, rockers, other stuff that you change while being there
2. Complete cooling system overhaul, including water pump, radiator, all hoses
3. New front drive shaft, rotoflex
4. New brakes
5. New suspension
6. New interior
7. New exterior plastics
8. New exterior paint
9. Off road bumpers
10. Off road tires
11. All rubber hoses, vacuum lines, etc replaced
12. New audio system
13. New exhaust (full system)
14. All new liquids
15. New fuel pump

I've been saving my receipts and with 50% of work done by myself, it is about $15K if you include the price of the truck. This is my daily driver that is basically brand new sans the paint, my last to-do item. Don't include off-road accessories like whiches and roofs.
I've been lurking, reading and researching for awhile now because I am shopping for a D2.
My first thought when I read this post was "I would of never of bought this LR to begin with".
The few weeks of reading and research have taught me that pretty quickly.
So either you didn't do your due diligence, wanted a project, or just more money than sense. Maybe all 3
This just sounds like it was a bad decision from the get-go.....

This guys inventory is a prime example - https://www.atlantaonwheels.com/inventory.aspx?sold=0
For far less than your 15k plus the purchase price I can pick one up thats had everything done already.
https://www.atlantaonwheels.com/2003...A_23038734.veh

I cant say this is worth the asking price but I'd rather pay that price for this rover than go through what you did - time is money also....so you've spent more than 15k IMO