Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camping in rain in Disco opinions on covering over sun roof?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 04:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camping in rain in Disco opinions on covering over sun roof?

I live in the Pacific Northwest and I'm planning to take my son camping. It will rain. Looking to sleep in the Disco. I want to have the ability to leave the sun roofs open for venting. I'm trying to come up with a way to keep the rain out. I'd like something better than a tarp. Maybe a flat panel permanently mounted under the roof rack bars? My only idea so far is to make a metal frame about 3' x 7' with a piece of abs or other plastic attached and mounted under my ski racks to act as a rain cover. I do not have a full safari style rack.

Other ideas? Opinions?

Old 11-14-2017, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What about the vent visors things for the side windows? Will allow you to open the windows a couple inches and not let the rain in.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by redjeep
I live in the Pacific Northwest and I'm planning to take my son camping. It will rain. Looking to sleep in the Disco. I want to have the ability to leave the sun roofs open for venting. I'm trying to come up with a way to keep the rain out. I'd like something better than a tarp. Maybe a flat panel permanently mounted under the roof rack bars? My only idea so far is to make a metal frame about 3' x 7' with a piece of abs or other plastic attached and mounted under my ski racks to act as a rain cover. I do not have a full safari style rack.

Other ideas? Opinions?
How about just crank all your windows down about an inch. Always worked for me. With the second row seats out I always have my daughters sleep in the disco when we are in bear country. But I am 6 foot and I can only sleep if I go at an angle. I usually just go in a tent with a 45 at my side.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

I second just cracking the windows. The rain gutters on these trucks work great. I've driven in heavy rain with the windows down 3" and never got a drop on myself. Same sitting still. Cracked an inch you'll be perfectly fine even if the wind is blowing.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

A little pricey but this would probably do the trick:

https://www.firstplacesupply.com/flo...iABEgKnxvD_BwE

Or this is a bit cheaper..

https://fast.wistia.net/embed/iframe...r?popover=true

Cheap, cheap, cheap. Personally I'd go with a toilet plunger and a beach umbrella and call it good cuz I'm really cheap.

In all seriousness - you'll probably be fine unless you have one of those leaking sunroofs everyone writes about on this forum.

Have fun!

Old 11-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

I am with everyone else windows down just a hair. If you add a small USB fan and rechargeable battery pack to 1 window you will be good. The one I use hangs on the window, is very quiet and moves enough air to keep air flow going.

I aim the airflow to the outside.

I am just out side of Vancouver BC and that is my preference. But I understand the rain issue.

But if you go sunroof open then I think you have the found easiest solution, I would use a small tarp myself if went that route. That was what I used while trying locate my water leak in to the cabin. Took 2 minutes to put up in the rain and worked well to keep water away from the sunroofs

Old 11-15-2017, 10:56 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Another suggestion is window deflectors. They allow you to crack open your door windows without getting raindrops into the interior. I have had mine for 5 years and no issue with the mounting.

2000 Land Rover / Range Rover Discovery Series II | Rain Guards - Side Window Deflectors for Cars Trucks SUVs and Minivans | WeatherTech.com

Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Vent Visor...Window Deflector...these things:

Old 11-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Search nakatenga window vents. The discovery models fit D1, D2, D3, D4 because the rear passenger window widths are exactly the same

Had some, loved them.