Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Cam sensors rarely ever fail and when they do, the engine will still start. What fault codes do you have?
My money is on your new crank sensor, either bad or damaged while being installed cause it is the only thing that can shut of the fuel and spark at the same time.
By the way, did you try starting it with starter fluid/carb spray?
Thanx for your reply,

I already installed a new crank sensor. I have tried the started fluid but it has no ignition spark, so it didnt work.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by roverguy7
cam sensor does not controll spark in the least, they do go bad and may be contributing to your issue, but will not resolve it alone. does the check engine light turn off during cranking? the engine ecu is located on the pass side rear of the engine bay, check the three connectors on it for corrosion, water gets in those a decent amount, also check the grounds right next to it, even if they look ok, take them off and clean the studs and contact areas. what is your security light doing?
I already checked everything you mentioned. but nothing seems to be working. What causes the fuel injector not to work? Does the Cam position sensor sense information to the ECU to trigger ground signal?

Old 05-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by greg409
Did you mean camshaft sensor?

The rave states the crank pos sensor will cause no start as did both of my LR's

The cam sensor will not, but will trip the engine light

luck,greg
my engine light is not on, there is no spark or injector pulse. does the cam sensor control spark and injector? the crank sensor has just been replace and checked twice.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by LRScott
Have you tested to see if you are getting spark or fuel? The crank shaft position sensor, with my experience on GEMS engines, at least, does not cause the vehicle to not start. Smell your exhaust for fuel and look at a spark plug (with your EFI fuse disconnected) and see if its doing anything. Doing it in the dark really helps btw.
thanx for ur reply, what is a GEMS engine? my car is a 96 discovery 4.0 and has no distributor.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jbriggs
Sometimes to much information on here gets confusing. Check to see if you have spark. Check the fuel pump by turning the key on and listen for it (back of the vehicle but you will here it run for a couple seconds).Check the fuses that control engine computers/fuel. Check the inertia switch on the passenger side fenderwell. Once you have done that try to get the code downloaded. Ask all you friends they may have a scanner to do it. Then post what you found on here or e-mail me.
There is no Spark.

No injector pulse

Fuel pressure is good.

No engine code, i have a scanner now. (:

Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by greg409
Good thoughts, I think the inertia switch causes the flashers to flash, tho'

I'm trying to get the poster to read the 1-1/2 pages of sensor symptoms to end some potential confusion

The crank position sensor presents as a intermittant HOT RESTART problem and degrades to no start if ignored over time.

luck,greg
Thanx,

is the inertia switch you are talking about the Restart switch?

I have read the 1-1/2 pages of sensor symptoms.. i dont think it is any of those.

I just replaced a new crank position sensor. but the car has no spark, therefor this problem that i can not start the car. also has not injector pulse while cranking.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Overlanding
Smile

Originally Posted by jbriggs
Or it could be this. Hey lets bombard this post with information and see if he can sort it out!!!! PM me airisgood01.
Originally Posted by Rovin4life
obviously you didn't read the bulletin. Its for 99 Gems only.

This is a 96.
Thanx . Rovin4life, i was about to say. mine is a 96 discovery.. but i was reading..

The “Check Engine” light does not illuminate when the key is turned to position II (run).

and found that.. one of the symptomes did occur.. but the problem is that when i turned on turned the key to position II(run). it never did illuminate.. it only turned on when i have a fault code... each time i check the code for the Check Engine light, it is always PO0317 ever since i bought the car.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
completely wrong, On a gems they will not start. Had a bad wire on mine and it wouldn't start until it got fixed.

In fact any LR without a cam sensor will not start.
so, should i replace a new cam sensor? if so, do you know where i can buy one?

What can cause a Cam Sensor to go bad?

Old 05-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Bad/corroded ECU.
Either a wire harness or corrosion inside the ECU is your problem.
We had a guy in Guatemala awhile back with this problem, hot, super humid, rains for 6 months of the year and his truck had no spark, no fuel delivery but good fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
Pulled the ECU and it was full of water, drained, dried, cleaned up, truck fired right up.
I checked the ECU and it was clean, no water, no unusually stains.. and no smell. it was all good. and all the fuels are normal.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by airisgood01
Thanx,

is the inertia switch you are talking about the Restart switch?

I have read the 1-1/2 pages of sensor symptoms.. i dont think it is any of those.

I just replaced a new crank position sensor. but the car has no spark, therefor this problem that i can not start the car. also has not injector pulse while cranking.
The inertia switch is on your firewall, it trips if you hit a big enough bump,

It is a black rubber button next to you washer tank, button on top.

p0317 is a rough road fault, also. & your symptoms remind me of it tripping, it's free and easy to check, just push it down.

It's worth trying.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Sensor